22190Re: [NTB] Rudimentary spelling checker

  • Art Kocsis
    Jul 21, 2011
      At 07/21/2011 03:13, Bruce wrote:
      > > Art Kocsis wrote:
      > > On the contrary, editing the default.udt is quite trivial:
      <snip>
      >I realize that, Art. For a computer buff with time on his hands, it might
      >be a rewarding pastime.
      Perhaps. I don't know. I can't remember having had any need to edit the
      default.udt in the 10 to 20 years I have ben using NTB. I just tried it to
      test the validity of your statement.

      >The other dictionaries are not in editable form and are not readily
      >manipulated.
      True

      >Maintenance of dictionaries would seem to me to be a legitimate function
      >of the spelling checker software, no?
      Probably but spelling does not seem to be a high priority for Eric. NTB
      uses v2.02 (dated 06-06-2000), of Addictive Software's spell checker. The
      v3.52 dictionary files (dated 05-11-2011), are freely available but require
      the v4 engine. I suspect that the v2 add-in was originally freeware (the
      author apparently was a student), but it now requires a fee so I doubt we
      will see any updates to this function. Personally, I am not a heavy user of
      NTB spell check. It is convenient but incomplete. If I really need to check
      a word Google or my email app is available.

      Eric seems to use a lot of 3rd party add-ins - some legitimate (such as
      RegEx), and some not so legitimate (such as the print engine with multiple
      and conflicting menus). I suspect they are all freeware.

      BTW In looking up info on the NTB spell check, I found an interesting
      tidbit, Tiny Spell, that I downloaded 6 years ago. The current version,
      1.94, was just updated 05-11-2001. According to its description, it is an
      app that will monitor your typing in any windows application. There are
      freeware and paid ($10) versions. I haven't tried it but you may want to
      check it out: http://tinyspell.numerit.com/

      Namaste', Art
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic