22149RE: [NTB] New to WIn7: Can't Edit Libraries...

  • John Shotsky
    Apr 25, 2011
      Vista and Windows 7 prevent users and programs from editing in the Program Files folder. There are ways around it using
      various permissions, but they can be unstable, since various Microsoft updates can break such permissions. Vista and 7
      also have a 'shadow copy' feature that, unless UAC is defeated, store your changes in another place - not in Program
      Files, so you get tricked, thinking you edited something in Program Files, but not seeing the changes in Program Files.
      If you search your computer for the edited files, you can find the shadow copies, provided you have your computer set up
      to show those folders and files.

      I install all older programs, including NoteTab in C:\Programs. Problem solved. I also bring the notetab.ini file and
      everything else under the NoteTab folder, instead of having to find those files in C:\Users or anywhere else. I like a
      compact installation, where everything is together.

      Regards,

      John

      <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/> RecipeTools site

      <http://shotsky.gotdns.com/index.htm> Beaverton Weather