21885Re: [NTB] Re: Another application has modified [filename]. Reload it?

  • Lee Underwood
    Jul 25, 2010
      I have too say that I too experience the "another app has modified..." on occasion. It only happens when i am working on a file that is an .ini file that I created. When I switch to another program and back to the .ini it sometimes asks "another app has modified...". I am using Ubuntu Linux, running NoteTab under Wine. I just tell it "no" and go on. It also started out of nowhere, without any changes made to the program or the environment. I was a bit interested in why it was happening, though.

      Lee

      > I have reported the "another app has modified..." issue and the "hanging NoteTab instances" to Fookes in the past, repeatedly, as well as in this thread. I see the two issues as related to each other. It may have some relation to Windows' delayed writing to disk, but if so, NoteTab ought to deal with it automatically. I have seen the "other app" problem right after saving a NEW clip library to disk. At the time there was a second instance of NoteTab hanging from the last restart.
      >
      > I use an isolated machine to develop NoteTab scripts. I never connect this PC to a network EXCEPT to upgrade Windows. All other upgrades are done from files downloaded via sneaker net, even my virus definitions. I use this maching only for NoteTab library development. The only applications I run on it, that might alter a library file, are various versions of NoteTab, and occasionally Notepad. While runnning NoteTab I also run Windows explorer, NoteTab Help, and SQLite3. Neither of these two apps modifies NoteTab's library files. Yet I experience the "other app ..." problem routinely.
      >
      > I don't see how this could be caused by anything BUT NoteTab. Even if it were caused by the OS, it would be a relationship that the vendor ought to be aware of.
      >

      > I do appreciate NoteTab as a great program (otherwise I would simply stop using it). I also appreciate the unusual responsiveness of its author. It is that past responsiveness, that emphasizes the irony of claiming the subject problem to be "external to NoteTab".

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic