21355RE: [NTB] Performance issues with large files

  • Art Kocsis
    Aug 27, 2009
      Undo after save is a NTB option.

      View | Options | Files | Undo After Save (uncheck box)

      768 MB of RAM is quite small. Open Task manager (Control - Alt -Delete),
      choose
      the Performance tab and monitor the swap file while you are editing your
      text file.

      For optimal swap file performance, your swap file should be:
      1) On a separate physical disk drive from your editing files
      2) Fixed size (Min = Max, You should set yours to 1.5 to 2GB)
      Start | Control Panel | System | Advanced | Performance (Settings) |
      Advanced | Virtual Memory (Change) | Custom Size
      3) Contiguous. Direct your swap file to your target disk AFTER you have
      completely defragged the target disk (using most optimal setting)

      If any of your editing involves clips, use

      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off

      Updating the monitor is VERY time consuming compared to the actual editing.
      That includes just scrolling down to the next edit item. And is seriously
      affected
      by your video card and driver. You don't need a game card but a cheap
      "business"
      video card with half a GB of video RAM could easily be 10 times faster than an
      integrated motherboard chip.

      Good luck, Art