21286Re: "Access Denied" so can't view HTML in browser

  • David Ash
    Jul 17, 2009
      Ah yes, Sheri is right -- this only happens with a new and
      not-yet-saved file. Perhaps it's a benign plot by NoteTab to
      encourage us to save our work!

      In fact I find that Version 4.9 (which I still have on board) behaves
      in the same way, so perhaps over the years I never happened to try
      "View in Browser" with an unsaved file.

      What's interesting too is that as soon as one HTML file is saved by
      NoteTab, further new HTML files can be viewed in the browser even if
      they are not yet saved. The first saved file blazes a trail, so to
      speak.

      Alec ... my installation is the standard one with the ini files etc
      going into the user's %appdir% folder. It would be logical to make
      this the destination for efo~ files from unsaved documents -- putting
      them in %progfiles% looks like a leftover from the old versions.

      D+

      Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-07-16 at
      16:46):
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, David Ash <yho@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Since I upgraded NoteTab Pro, it tries to put its temporary "efo"
      > > files in the C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 6 folder. If I'm not in
      > > Administrator mode, access to that folder is denied, and so "View in
      > > Browser" doesn't work for HTML files.
      > >
      > > I never had this problem with version 4.9. I assume I can change the
      > > temporary storage location in Version 6.12, but haven't yet found a
      > > way to do it.
      > >
      > > Why did it work before, but not now? Is there a simple solution?
      > >
      > > D+
      > >

      > It only seems to happen if there is no directory info showing for the
      > current document on the title bar. I think the solution is to save a
      > file at least once before attempting to view it in the browser. Then
      > (if the document is subsequently modified) the efo file is
      > temporarily written to document's home directory (and removed when
      > NoteTab is closed).

      This doesn't sound quite correct ??

      Could behavior somehow depend on location of notepro.ini file (%appdir%
      or %progfiles%)?
      I just cleared all open file info from Notetab (with ^!Close
      ALL,DISCARD) exited and restarted Notetab.
      I typed a couple of words into NoName01.txt then did Document_to_HTML
      which created a new document NoName.htm
      Clicking Open_in_Browser opened
      file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Alec/efo~3.htm (not sure why it
      was "~3"?
      Later ... I used Everything to search all drives for anything starting
      with efo~ and found these:

      > C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab
      > Pro\Libraries\efo~1.htm
      > C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab
      > Pro\Libraries\efo~2.htm
      > C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab
      > Pro\Libraries\efo~3.htm
      > C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab
      > Pro\Libraries\efo~3.txt

      All but efo~3.txt are at least one month old (possibly from crashes etc
      that had nothing to do with Notetab and left remenants around). After
      again clearing open files, closing open files and deleting the four
      files above and repeating the above procedure this time the file created
      is file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Alec/efo~1.htm which makes
      sense after delete files above.

      I've no idea why, absent a defined location from a previously saved
      version of the file, it chose above location. I would have expected (and
      preferred) that it use system level defined %temppdir% (wherever in
      Registry or environment that is normally defined) or perhaps an option
      in Notetab itself.

      FWIW: in Options-Files I have:
      Directories - Match Directory=ON, Use Default Directories=OFF and Open
      Directory=Save Directory=null (ie. left blank)

      David: could you check the values you have set for above Options and
      whether or not you have notepro.ini in %progfiles% rather than %appdir%?
      (I think unless you explicitly forced it to %progfiles% the only reason
      you would have it in %progfiles% would be if you'd updated to Notetab 5
      from Notetab 4.x and chose during installation to install on top of the
      old %progfiles% location.