20976Re: [NTB] Re: NoteTab crashes opening certain files

  • Alec Burgess
    Apr 2, 2009
      YES - its a bug!
      quux2000 (quux2000@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-04-02 at 21:33):
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "quux2000" <quux2000@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I am using NoteTab Pro 5.8/fv on Vista Ultimate 32 SP1. NoteTab
      > > > crashes on every attempt to open certain files.
      > > >
      > > > In iTunes (I'm using version 8.1.0.51), you can right-click a
      > > > playlist or library and export a text file listing. It oddly
      > > > outputs everything on 1 line with no newline at the end of the
      > > > file. However, I am able to open these text files using MS
      > > > Notepad. Every time I open these using NoteTab, I get the
      > > > following error messages, and the file is not displayed.
      > > >
      > > > Access violation at address 0040949B in module 'NotePro.exe'.
      > > > Write of address 2037305C
      > > > Access violation at address 00409BCA in module 'NotePro.exe'.
      > Write of address 2037305C
      > > >
      > > > Here's the output of UNIX 'wc' of the file I am attempting to
      > open:
      > > >
      > > > 0 79826 558474 My_Nano.txt
      > > >
      > > > I realize that a "0-line" file is unusual and the result of
      > > > possibly buggy behavior from the program that created it.
      > > > However, if I can open such files in MS Notepad without it
      > > > crashing, IMHO I should also be to open them in NoteTab. At least
      > > > there should be some code in NoteTab that prevents these errors
      > > > dialogs from being presented to the user.
      > >
      > > Windows, Unix and Mac all use different line break formulations. If
      > its not Windows and its not Unix, it is probably Mac. NoteTab should
      > be able to deal with it even if no lines by any of the standards.
      > Could you zip and post the file into our Group files area? I can
      > check if the problem occurs on XP with Notetab 5.7 and/or 5.8.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Sheri
      > >

      > OK, thank you. I have uploaded a file with name "Sixties.zip." The
      > text file contained within was created by simply using the "export
      > playlist as text file" function in iTunes. I have made no
      > modifications to the file.
      Confirming the problem on WinXP SP3
      With Notetab Pro 5.8 I can drag the (unzipped) file sixties.txt to
      Notetab. Status bar at bottom indicates it is format Dos/Windows. I can
      do some manipulation with the file (insert a couple of characters, save
      under another name, select-all - copy to another buffer) but as soon as
      I try to set wrap by keying Ctrl+W it crashes (for me its silent - the
      app just closes).

      Trying the same thing with Notetab Light 5.8 works fine.

      The file appears to contain 149679 characters with no line-breaks.
      In Notetab Pro Options-Advanced I have both Text-Size Limit and
      Paragraph Limit set to 2147483632
      Definitely a bug!
      Workaround
      I was able to fix the file by using regex-replace of (\....)\x20\20 by
      $1\r\n
      ie. dot+3-character extension (usually appeared to be .m4a) followed by
      2 spaces replaced by just the extension and a DOS <cr><lf>

      After doing this I could use Ctrl+W with triggering a crash.