20614Re: [NTB] Backing up Settings

  • Art Kocsis
    Jun 30, 2008
      Alec,

      Thanks for nothing! Based on your suggestion I googled KDIFF and
      spent/wasted/invested the next 6 - 8 hours following various interesting
      links: the status of the honey bee die-off, space activity, Ninja squirrel,
      system utilities, trained monkey assistants, quirky houses, flooded
      midwestetc, etc, etc <g>. Unfortunately, it doesn't take too
      much to get me side tracked as I am interested in almost everything.
      But now, at least, I'm smarter. Right?

      BTW, I did find and DL KDiff. Looks interesting. I have been using Beyond
      Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com/) which is the best I have ever
      seen to date but it doesn't do 3-way compares. (Just checked their website,
      they just released a new beta - good until end of July if you want to try
      it out.)

      Have a good week and keep up the attitude.

      Art

      At 6/29/2008 02:45 PM, you wrote:

      >Good point Eb - My normal practice when doing an install/upgrade,
      >especially one that I know I have lots of customization of options, is
      >to make a copy of the pre-existing program files folder (or
      >documents+settings folder) then after install run KDiff3 against the old
      >(copy) and new version after install. Current version of (free) Kdiff3
      >(just google) can if requested add a context menu item so that when two
      >folders (or files) are selected it will do a compare of the selected
      >items. (It also supports three-way comparisons too which is occasionally
      >useful - again from the context menu).
      >
      >This makes it super-easy to see what's been changed and even to edit
      >either old or new versions by copying over specific lines. (This is
      >ideal for merging INI files - keeping desired items from either old or new)
      >
      >Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail)
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic