20610Re: [NTB] Backing up Settings

  • ebbtidalflats
    Jun 29, 2008
      Hi Alex, Jono,

      If you use this method, you need to be aware of the potential pitfall:

      When you restore the entire backup, you will likely overwrite some
      files, that may have newer, more desirable content.

      For example, favorites, edited libraries, edited toolbars, etc.

      I'm not saying 'don't do this', I'm saying 'restore one file at a
      time' if necessary, rather than the entire folders.

      One more thing, if you back-up the INI file, and restore it as a
      whole, you may ALSO overwrite some things you would rather have kept.
      For example, which files are opened with the program, some of the
      histories kept in the INI file, such as search/replace, etc.

      To see what effect restoring migth have, take a look at the content of
      the INI file. It's just a text file with an "ini" extension.

      Program settings are kept mostly in the "[Options]" and "[Toolbar]"

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...> wrote:
      > Op zaterdag 28 juni 2008 20:25 schreef Jono:
      > > I would like to backup my settings. I have spent a lot of time
      > > setting everything up to make it as productive as possible for
      > > me--toolbars, clipbars, colors, clips, etc.
      > >
      > > Is there a way to back all of that up so that I won't have to go
      > > through all of that again if I need to reinstall the application?
      > > (I'm using WXP SP3.)
      > For NoteTab version 5, save the contents of
      > \Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\<NoteTab folder>
      > and its subfolders.
      > Alex.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic