20503Re: [NTB] I've done it again

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Apr 23, 2008
      Interviewed by CNN on 23/4/2008 12:50, Bruce Somers told the world:
      > By inadvertently typing some key combination, I have caused all
      > characters not contained in the terribly limited ASCII character set
      > to be replaced by the so-called HTML-entities:
      >
      > á: in place of ä and so forth.
      >
      > I hope I can reverse that as easily. Can someone help me?
      >
      > That this is done so easily by accident, is a nuisance, not a feature.

      I suspect that you accidentally ran HTMLTidy. Tidy does this kind of
      conversion -- but it can convert it right back, too.

      You should either create or edit the tidy.cfg IN YOUR NOTETAB PROGRAM
      FOLDER, including the following lines:

      input-encoding: win1252
      output-encoding: win1252

      Then, run Tidy again in the problem file -- either by keying Ctrl+F7 or
      by the option in the "Tools" menu. It will convert the entities back to
      characters.

      However, a caveat: if you cannot be SURE that your webserver is set up
      correctly for Win1252 (or ISO-8859-1, or UTF-8 or whatever) you are
      probably better off publishing your HTML code in plain US-ASCII with
      entities.

      Even entities aren't 100% safe. Some of the named entities aren't
      widely supported; some common numeric entities are actually illegal.
      But Tidy can help you there too.

      Marcelo

      -=-=-
      Back up my hard disk? I can't find the reverse switch!
      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.9
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic