20223Re: [NTB] Re: Problems opening many files at once from Windows "search".

  • Robbie Hatley
    Nov 1, 2007
      <buralex@...> wrote:

      > "Robbie Hatley" <lonewolf@...> said on Oct 28, 2007 21:22 -0400
      > (in part):
      > > I see "Search Disk" has a sub-tab called "Replace in Files". I should
      > > be able
      > > to set "File Mask" to "\\*.*" (all files in all directories on all
      > > drives), set
      > > "Find What" to the viral string, and leave "Replace With" blank.
      > > MUCH easier than the way I was doing it.
      > Hmmm .... I have 1,027,000 files on my C:\ harddrive.
      > Please post back with how long it takes Notetab to do a search-replace
      > on ALL files in ALL folders with ALL extensions :-)

      Several hours. I didn't do it all in one session, so I can't give the precise time.
      That was for my C, D, E, F drives. (Those 4 partitions are on my 3 internal
      physical hard disks.)

      I see now, to my horror, that my two backup partitions (on an external
      300GB maxtor firewire hard disk) are also heavily infected with Win32/Virut.
      Sigh. This virus is SO damn invasive! :-( It took AVG an hour to disinfect
      the drives (by moving most of the exe files to the vault; it couldn't repair
      them). But AVG doesn't check for inserted iframes in asp, aspx, php, htm,
      and html files; so I have to use NoteTab to search and erase the iframes.
      Several more hours, I imagine. Sigh. At least I can multitask while it's
      doing it. And sleep. By the time I wake up, hopefully it'll be finished.

      --
      Cheers,
      Robbie Hatley