      From: Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...>
      To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, October 9, 2007 5:33:21 PM
      Subject: [NTB] Kinda OT... old text-file conversion

      This is not really on-topic, but I thought somebody here might have a
      solution...

      I have a bunch of really old, DOS ASCII text files (code-page 850) that
      I want to convert to Windows. The trouble is, they are riddled with
      special characters (graphics blocks, accented characters and such) that:

      a) have to be converted to different code-points in Windows ANSI
      (windows-1252), and
      b) Some of them (like the graphics blocks) in fact have *no* matching
      characters in 1252, only in Unicode.

      What I would like is to find a command-line utility that converts those
      files from code page 850 into some sort of Unicode, preferrably UTF-8
      -- from there, I can take over with no problem.
      A slightly less convenient solution would be a Notetab clip that does
      the same, converting the old characters into either UTF-8 encoding or
      into HTML entities (I suppose I *could* write a clip for that, but it's
      a lot of boring work...)

      Does anybody know of a ready-made solution of either sort?

      Marcelo

      -=-=-
      New Book: _How to write a How To book_
      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.4