19920Re: [NTB] Re: Command Parameters to run NoteTab Prom NotePro.ini, clipbooks from USB key ?

  • Tuttle Grey
    Aug 12, 2007
      Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:

      On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
      > The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
      >
      > Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to the current
      > drive letter of the USB drive,

      Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I should edit something in this
      first block of values?:

      [Application]
      MainDirectory=
      Version=5300
      UseRegistry=0
      CloseToTray=0
      DisactivateToTray=0
      IconInTray=0
      PollForNews=0
      UseProfileFolder=1
      LastNewsPoll=10/Aug/07
      LastNews=2007/07/06
      LastNewsSig=1236051467
      LastNewsDate=10/Aug/07

      > The shortcut's target line should point to the drive letter of the USB
      > drive, followed by /USB.
      >
      > Here is what I use for my shortcut:
      >
      > G:\NoteTab5\NotePro.exe /ini=NotePro.INI /USB

      Based on your advice, I tried this:

      "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /ini=NotePro.ini /USB

      When I launch NoteTab from the USB flash drive using that shortcut, it is still
      using and writing to the NotePro.ini file in the Application Data directory of my
      main system drive. NoteTab Pro is installed on that main drive, but I want this
      second copy on the USB key so I can take it with me to use on other PCs I may work
      on as a guest.

      The only reason I want a shortcut at the top-level directory of the USB flash drive
      is for convenience in launching. I could, however, drill down into the NoteTab
      installation directory on that USB flash drive and launch NoteTab by directly
      clicking NotePro.exe if that would be more successful. I want the NoteTab
      application on the USB flash drive to use the NotePro.ini file on that same USB
      flash drive, so I can take my user-defined Options with me when I work on other
      computers that don't have NoteTab.

      It seems to me that I should be able somehow to tell the NoteTab application on the
      USB flash drive to use the NotePro.ini file on that same USB flash drive. But, it
      isn't working. Even though I launch NoteTab from the USB flash drive with the new
      shortcut, any changes I make to Options result in changes to the values in the
      NotePro.ini on my main system drive rather than on the USB flash drive.

      Any other ideas I should try? Thanks for any help.

      BTW, will this still work when my USB flash drive is plugged into a computer on
      which the USB flash drive gets assigned a drive letter other than the "E:" that is
      assigned by my computer?

      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I copied the NoteTab Pro 5.3 directories to a USB flash drive. I want
      >> to run NoteTab Pro from that drive, along with my preferences
      >> (NotePro.ini) and my modified clipbook libraries of HTML.clb and
      >> CSS1.clb.
      >>
      >> How to I do this? The help file says to use command parameter /USB, but
      >> I don't know where to put that. I made a shortcut to NotePro.exe on the
      >> USB key, and edited the Properties of that shortcut to add the command
      >> parameter /USB like so:
      >>
      >> "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB
      >>
      >> It doesn't work. The application on the USB key launches, but any
      >> changes I make to clipbooks or to preferences (NoteTab.ini) then change
      >> those files on my main hard drive. That indicates to me that it is not
      >> accessing those files on the USB key.
      >>
      >> How and where do I use this command parameter to force everthing to be
      >> done on the USB drive?

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic