19750Re: [NTB] Should I Upgrade to 5.2?

  • Sheri
    May 24, 2007
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, buralex@... wrote:

      > "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> said on 05/23/2007 4:53:17 PM -0400
      > > Is the updated regex engine version 7 faster, or something?

      > No - I'm not sure what the differences are - Sheri might know.

      > > Will I need to update my current RegEx clips to work with it?

      > No - except for the two functions mentioned, no changes
      >
      > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
      > --

      Besides updating the regex engine to PCRE 7 and fixing some problems
      with ^$GetDocMatchAll$, there were some other NoteTab fixes, like
      Escape to incontext clipbook followed by Shift+F10, couldn't
      previously select a library with an undercored letter in the list and
      have the loaded library change as expected. That works now.

      You can keep a backup of notepro.exe or notetab.exe when you have
      concerns about updating. That way if changes are not to your liking
      you can revert to the previous version.

      PCRE 7 added features and fixed bugs.

      I thought these were the more interesting items in the PCRE change log
      for 7.0:

      [QUOTE]

      [snip]

      Added a number of extra features that are going to be in Perl
      5.10. On the whole, these are just syntactic alternatives for
      features that PCRE had previously implemented using the Python
      syntax or my own invention. The other formats are all retained
      for compatibility.

      (a) Named groups can now be defined as (?<name>...) or
      (?'name'...) as well as (?P<name>...). The new forms, as well as
      being in Perl 5.10, are also .NET compatible.

      (b) A recursion or subroutine call to a named group can now be
      defined as (?&name) as well as (?P>name).

      (c) A backreference to a named group can now be defined as
      \k<name> or \k'name' as well as (?P=name). The new forms, as well
      as being in Perl 5.10, are also .NET compatible.

      (d) A conditional reference to a named group can now use the
      syntax (?(<name>) or (?('name') as well as (?(name).

      (e) A "conditional group" of the form (?(DEFINE)...) can be used
      to define groups (named and numbered) that are never evaluated
      inline, but can be called as "subroutines" from elsewhere. In
      effect, the DEFINE condition is always false. There may be only
      one alternative in such a group.

      (f) A test for recursion can be given as (?(R1).. or
      (?(R&name)... as well as the simple (?(R). The condition is true
      only if the most recent recursion is that of the given number or
      name. It does not search out through the entire recursion stack.

      [snip]

      Add \R to match any Unicode newline sequence, as suggested in the
      Unicode report. [note this token works in all files, not just unicode
      files].

      [snip]

      For an unanchored pattern, if a match attempt fails at the start
      of a newline sequence, and the newline setting is CRLF or ANY,
      and the next two characters are CRLF, advance by two characters
      instead of one.

      [/UNQUOTE]

      Regards,
      Sheri