19208Re: [NTB] Free upgrade ?

    Aug 31, 2006
      Hi jcmcgowan01,

      >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Actually, it's a free upgrade if you purchased NoteTab 4.95 after March
      >> 27, 2006 (120 days prior to the release of v5.0). See this page:
      >> http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.php
      >>
      >> --
      >> Regards,
      >> Eric Fookes
      >> http://www.fookes.com/
      >
      >I know. And unfortunately that puts me in that most frustrating place:
      >
      >After using Note Tab Light for a while, plus being a Mailbag Assistant
      >and Aid4Mail Pro customer, I purchased Note Tab Pro on March 12, 2006.
      >Which makes me about two weeks too early.

      Thank you very much for all the software you bought (and you were
      probably offered discounts too).

      The line had to be drawn somewhere though. Unfortunately you and
      many others did not make the cutoff date. It is not like we
      tricked you. It has been in the license agreement for as long as
      it has been for sale to the best of my knowledge with some slight
      variations. Actually, we have also given free upgrades to
      customers for nearly 10 years. We could have easily charged 5
      upgrade fees in that time period and justified for the amount of
      work/features, etc. Likewise, we could have raised the cost even
      more than now over those 10+ years.

      >Plus, the base price increased from $19.95 to $29.95, so even the 50%
      >discount makes the price for me almost as much as I just paid for 4.95!

      It is closer to five months than to "just paid."

      >The feature differences between 4.95 and 5.0 just don't seem to be
      >enough for me to have to pay $35 ($20 original plus $15.50 upgrade)
      >within three months just because I happened to make my original
      >purchase close to when a new version was being released - but
      >apparently not close enough.

      That is true and we do truly understand your arguments. However,
      if you look at most software on the market, NoteTab Pro is *under
      priced* and **very liberal** with upgrade and usage licenses**.
      Also, we changed our upgrade policy in v5 to a 30 day instead of
      120 day discount fee to line up with the majority of the
      share/trialware industry.

      >Effectively, a brand new user wondering in to the online store at
      >fookes.com will pay $29.95 for a Note Tab Pro license today.

      That is true and a tremendous deal! :-)

      >But I would be paying $34.45 for that same license - simply
      >because I am an existing customer.

      No, that is not true. You are *not/would not* be paying it
      because you are an existing customer. If anybody bought a 4.xx
      version they can get a 50% discount offer. That can be up to 10+
      years. We also do other things for our customers that I won't
      mention here. You just happened to buy at the time you did.

      >I know that developers need to set an upgrade policy to operate
      >profitably. But the way this one is implemented insures that only
      >loyal users will pay a premium to upgrade - more than a new user.

      Yes, we do have very loyal customers. Some even begged for us for
      years to raise the cost of the program and many keep buying it
      when they don't have to. We are very grateful for them and also
      the ones that tell their friends/others about NoteTab or post on
      a forum/discussion mailing list.

      You are looking at the fact that you missed the window. It may be
      that 5.0 customers might not pay again for many years. Or, you
      may find out along the way that it has grown up enough to pay an
      upgrade fee. However, we do not guarantee that the discount will
      last x amount of time.

      >IMO, no existing user should ever have to end up paying more than a
      >new user to upgrade to a new version. And the upgrade policy should
      >somehow take that into consideration. It's not that difficult to
      >calculate that when considering the price of an upgrade. I just cannot
      >understand how this is a fair policy. To make it blindly date-based
      >without any consideration for existing users doesn't feel right.

      I'm sorry, but we disagree that a lot of existing customers have
      to pay a little more than a new user. The overwhelming majority
      have been using the program (4.xx) for many years not having to
      pay any upgrade fee. We cannot force anybody to pay an upgrade
      fee of course. We really don't want people to upgrade if they are
      not satisfied with the offer; we want happy customers. We
      understand that we cannot please everybody and as mentioned, we
      had to draw the line somewhere. It is very *possible* that an
      upgrade fee for *this product* may not happen for a few years
      down the road. Might be 10; might be 2. We do not know.

      >After all, when I purchased there was no indication that it was that
      >close to a new version release.

      When you purchased the program you agreed to the license whether
      you read it or not. Also, the program version number of 4.95
      should have gave you a hint that v5 could come out at anytime
      (although it stayed there for a number of years).

      (This doesn't have anything to do with the cutoff date, but I
      thought I'd throw it in anyway. There's not another editor out
      there that I am aware of that has what NoteTab has when you toss
      in the Clip Code. That one item can literally save a tremendous
      amount of people's/company's work/man hours. People have wrote me
      stating that they built a Clip to do something that would have
      taken them 1000s of man hours for just 10 minutes of work. Many
      people can say the same. So, if one learns how to write Clips, a
      single Clip could easily be worth paying every 30 days. :-)

      Happy Tab'n,