19207Re: [NTB] Free upgrade ?

  • jcmcgowan01
    Aug 27, 2006

      > Actually, it's a free upgrade if you purchased NoteTab 4.95 after March
      > 27, 2006 (120 days prior to the release of v5.0). See this page:
      >
      > http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.php
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > Eric Fookes
      > http://www.fookes.com/

      I know. And unfortunately that puts me in that most frustrating place:

      After using Note Tab Light for a while, plus being a Mailbag Assistant
      and Aid4Mail Pro customer, I purchased Note Tab Pro on March 12, 2006.
      Which makes me about two weeks too early.

      Plus, the base price increased from $19.95 to $29.95, so even the 50%
      discount makes the price for me almost as much as I just paid for 4.95!

      The feature differences between 4.95 and 5.0 just don't seem to be
      enough for me to have to pay $35 ($20 original plus $15.50 upgrade)
      within three months just because I happened to make my original
      purchase close to when a new version was being released - but
      apparently not close enough.

      Effectively, a brand new user wondering in to the online store at
      fookes.com will pay $29.95 for a Note Tab Pro license today. But I
      would be paying $34.45 for that same license - simply because I am an
      existing customer. I know that developers need to set an upgrade
      policy to operate profitably. But the way this one is implemented
      insures that only loyal users will pay a premium to upgrade - more
      than a new user.

      IMO, no existing user should ever have to end up paying more than a
      new user to upgrade to a new version. And the upgrade policy should
      somehow take that into consideration. It's not that difficult to
      calculate that when considering the price of an upgrade. I just cannot
      understand how this is a fair policy. To make it blindly date-based
      without any consideration for existing users doesn't feel right.

      After all, when I purchased there was no indication that it was that
      close to a new version release.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic