18440Re: [NTB] Differentiating two separate installations

    Jan 17, 2006
      Hi ericbj,

      > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
      > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?

      Maybe I am missing something here, but in one copy of NoteTab go
      to View | Options | Associations and type "otl" without the
      quotes in the upper field, then press OK and close the dialog so
      that the registry gets updated. Do the same thing in your other
      copy of NoteTab, but this time add the other file extension.

      > But it would be helpful to be able also to
      > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
      > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
      > files to open them in the other.
      >
      > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
      > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
      > OTL --> open with --> Other
      > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
      > in F:\NoteTab\ .
      > But the OTL files still open in
      > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
      >
      > Any suggestions ?

      NoteTab is not a good program to make file associations via
      Windows Explorer (or My Computer) in. The description has to be
      exactly the way NoteTab wants them, else funny things can to
      happen and backup to what the last association may not be there
      anymore by using Windows Explorer. At least that is the way it
      was in pastimes. You should always use its Associations tab in
      Options.

      > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
      > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
      > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
      > found, this would be helpful.

      Please do not discuss the following on this list, but rather take
      it to the Off Topic list. TIA

      They are in kept in NoteTab's executable (NotePro.exe or
      NoteTab.exe) You need a program that will show all the icons in
      the executable. There are many around for free and here is on I
      have installed out of a few. (Some don't seem to support all file
      types.) IconXtracter Program is easy to use and only a 941.7 Kb
      download. Please go to the off topic list (see footer) if you
      want to discuss the utility. You can save an icon as ICO or BMP.
      Other programs like Irfan_View will let you save as a lot of
      different formats, but lacks the ability of showing all the
      different icons stored in the executable or DLL.

      In the program I clicked on the Help "Visit Home" link:
      http://millennium.fortunecity.com/lincoln/223/

      IconXtracter Program
      http://millennium.fortunecity.com/lincoln/223/Xtract08.exe

      > Thanks,
      > ericbj
      >
      > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
      > SP4.

      Happy Tab'n,