18406Re: the ! operand

  • John Zeman
    Jan 1, 2006
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lesliedsmith" <leslie@s...> wrote:

      > I've been trying to make a not operand work in a regular expression
      > for search and replace, but ! is not well documented under the regular
      > expression documentation. It only says that it has the same
      > precedence as + and *. Does any one know how to use ! and what it does?
      >
      > Leslie

      While ! means NOT in several languages, it has no special meaning in NoteTab RegEx. Instead the caret (^) character means NOT when it is used within square brackets. For example,

      [^0-9]

      matches anything but a digit.

      However when used at the beginning of an expression without the square brackets ^ has a different meaning.

      ^cow

      will match "cow" but only if it is at the very beginning of a line.

      Happy New Year!

      John
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic