17822Re: [NTB] How to read Unicode on NoteTab (Unicode Tamil )

    Apr 26, 2005
      Hi Subu,

      >Actually last time I received two different replies.
      >One said Notetab supports Unicode
      >and
      >another reply said Note Tab does NOT support unicode
      >I wasn't sure as my old machine was NOT Win XP*P*
      >My new machine is Win XP*P* and so I ventured to ask again
      >By the way , are there any other free text editors supporting Unicode ?

      NoteTab does support Unicode files. It is not as easy as opening
      a standard .txt or .htm file, but Unicode is supported.

      Part 1
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯
      Look in the Utilities Library under the "UNICODE files" section.
      It "offers Clips that let you easily read and write text in
      UNICODE format." You can drag/drop the Clips to your default
      ClipBar to access them easily. The Clips are:

      Import UNICODE text
      Save as UNICODE file

      See http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm for very basic help
      in building a Clip and a lot more about the Clip bar that is in
      NoteTab Pro/Std. http://www.notetab.net/order

      Part 2
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯
      When you open Unicode files in NoteTab the characters that
      NoteTab cannot convert will be converted to a "?".

      Until you know each Unicode file itself and know exactly what
      NoteTab does with it, I suggest that you make copies of the files
      so that you do not loose any data should that happen. Help states
      in Options | General...

      Protect Unicode Files:
      When NoteTab opens Unicode files, it has to convert them to the
      ANSI character set, which handles much fewer characters. As a
      result, the conversion process may drop non-ANSI and cause the
      loss of information. When this setting is checked, Unicode files
      are opened in Read-Only mode, which protects the file from
      changes. If you know that your Unicode documents will not loose
      important information during the conversion process, you can
      uncheck this option in order to open such files in editable mode.

      Happy Tab'n,