16893Remove lines with keywords?

  • Palladin
    Aug 1, 2004
      Hi all,
      This is my first post. I hope it's acceptable.
      My question involves whether NoteTab has the ability to remove
      lines from a text file that contain a certain keyword, or string.
      What I'm doing is compiling a Hosts file to block certain undesirable
      sites from being downloaded to my PC. If I redirect my PC to itself
      when a certain site is being called on, undesirable sites can be blocked. I won't go too heavy into it, but for more info, a good place is:

      http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

      Anyway, here is a brief sample of what my Hosts file looks like:

      127.0.0.1 backupdvd.info
      127.0.0.1 backwebtechnologies.rsc01.net
      127.0.0.1 bad-credits.net
      127.0.0.1 bad.a6.squally7845tabs.us
      127.0.0.1 badboss.tv
      127.0.0.1 badcredithistorycreditcard.com
      127.0.0.1 baden24.ivwbox.de
      127.0.0.1 badlands.112.2o7.net

      There's thousands of these "hosts", or websites, in my Hosts file.
      What I need NoteTab to do is remove all host entries that contain
      a certain word, or "string" that I specify, because I have another
      filter method based on keywords, and I want to slim my huge Hosts
      file down, for speed of access purposes. So far I have not been able
      to figure out how to do it with my NoteTab, but I feel N.T. can do it.
      For instance, if I specify that NoteTab remove all entries that contain
      the word "bad" from the list above, NoteTab would delete or separate from the list 6 of the 8 hosts, starting at- 127.0.0.1 bad-credits.net.
      There will be around 200 of these keywords I will use to pare down
      my very large Hosts file. If I could specify all 200 strings in the same
      operation, that would be even better, but I'll settle for one at a time.
      Is any of this possible with NoteTab? And if so, how? Thanks, Billy

      Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com