15702Re: Searching text for large list of keywords - how best?

  • hugo_paulissen
    Sep 30, 2003
      > <quote>
      > Find=(example1)|(example2)|(example3)|( example4)
      > Replace=new value1
      > </quote>
      > If I copy the whole of this message into Note Tab Light,
      > click on Search:Find:,
      > set regexp,
      > paste this string -
      > \w(expr)|(replace)|(example)
      > - into the Reg. expr: field in the Find box,
      > and press Find Next repeatedly, the find gets stuck
      > on a match where the matched text includes a trailing
      > blank on the previous line.
      >
      > Is this a bug or a feature? ;)
      > (PS is there a workround?)

      Theo,

      I'm not sure if this is what you are after but you could try it with
      something like:

      \n*\w*(example1)|(example2)|(example3)|(example4)

      Apparently your construction with "\w(expr)|etc" chokes on the
      trailing blank/new line character. Please note that the Regular
      Expression-engine may cause hickups if you construct complex
      expressions. It is always safe to make a backup first.

      Hugo
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic