14008RE: [NTB] cut off characters in certain columns [was: no subject]

  • Daniel Müller
    Sep 3, 2002
      Hi,

      thanks a lot for the effort. However, I can't get the clip working yet,
      there's no reaction. Also the replace dialog doesn't respond (regexp box is
      checked). Here is a small example of how these files look like:

      12 hi!
      11 this
      10 is
      9 a
      8 test.
      7 how can I
      6 cut
      5 the
      4 numbers
      3 off???
      . some columns also
      . have points at the beginning

      Is it possible to delete -let's say- the columns of character 3 to 6 form a
      file?

      Thanks again,
      Daniel

      > º Daniel Müller wrote:
      > º
      > º Hi,
      > º
      > º I have lots of large files, which have line numbers/points/spaces at the
      > º beginning of the lines. how can I cut off these (a certain amount of)
      > characters
      > º from the beginning of a line?
      > º
      > º Note: I do not master clip language (yet?).
      > º
      > º TIA,
      > º cheers,
      > º Daniel
      > º
      > º
      > Daniel,
      >
      > I'm not a regex-er but, using the start Hugo made, I played with this
      > until it worked.
      >
      > This would be a single line clip to remove all line numbers that are
      > followed by a period and 1 or more spaces.
      >
      > -------------
      > h=remove-LINE-numbers
      > ^!Replace ^\d*\.\s* >> ^%empty% TISwAR
      > -----------
      >
      > The W in TISwAR causes numbers in the entire document to be replaced.
      > Remove the W and numbers from the cursor position down will be replaced.
      >
      > You can do this line number replacement with the Replace dialog wizard
      > too, might be quicker than adding a clip to one of your libraries, but,
      > with a clip the function is always available.
      >
      > If you want to try the Replace dialog copy and paste the first series
      > '^\d*\.\s*', without the quotes, into the top line of the wizard, leave
      > the bottom line blank.
      >
      > Hope this will help.
      >
      > hrs
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic