11270Win2K Pro & NoteTab Associations Tests

  • Jim Hall
    Jul 8, 2001
      Hi All,

      Due to the problems reported lately with NoteTab and Win2K Pro, I ran some
      tests to see if I could reproduce any of the reported problems.

      Before I list the results, let me just say that NoteTab Light, NoteTab Pro
      Trial, and good old NoteTab Pro Registered Version performed flawlessly.

      Tests were run on an IBM ThinkPad 700MHZ Laptop with 256MB of RAM running
      Win2K Pro 5.00.2195.

      All signs of NoteTab were removed from the system and the Notepad.exe files
      were restored to original configuration.

      Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in Notepad.

      NoteTab Light was downloaded from Dr. File Finder's FTP site and FAILED to
      unzip properly on 3 separate Downloads.

      NoteTab Light was then downloaded from NoteTab's other USA site and
      unzipped okay.

      NTL was installed using all defaults and NO commercial options.

      In NTL OPTIONS|ASSOCIATIONS the extension "txt" was ADDED and NTL was exited.

      Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in NoteTab Light.

      In NTL OPTIONS|ASSOCIATIONS the extension "txt" was REMOVED and NTL was exited.

      Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in Notepad.

      Repeating the above sequence worked properly everytime with/without rebooting.

      With no files associated to NTL, I replaced Notepad with NoteTab Light
      using the REVISED procedure below with the path and filename changed to
      those for NoteTab Light by copy and pasting them from the Explorer window
      to the below Notepad.ini file.

      Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in NoteTab Light.

      The same test was performed with NoteTab Pro Trial and it too worked
      properly in all respects.

      Finally NoteTab Pro Registered Version was put back on and it works
      properly in all respects.

      If the above does not work correctly for you, then the only guess I have is
      that you have either contaminated NoteTab install files/registry entries
      or you have a different version of Win2K Pro.

      I have a new version on hand but it is 3:30 AM and I'm too tired to go
      there tonight.

      I will be upgrading to the newer version soon and if the problem is still
      plaguing us I will redo the tests after the Win2k Pro upgrade.

      Hope this helps your confidence in NoteTab running in Win2K - It did mine :-).

      Jim

      HOW TO REPLACE NOTEPAD WITH NOTETAB PRO (REGISTERED VERSION) IN WINDOWS 2000
      Revised July 7, 2001

      (Make necessary alterations for path and file name variations and for other
      NoteTab versions)
      (It is imperative that the path and filenames be 100% correct - Triple
      check yourself)

      1) Go to MY COMPUTER|TOOLS|FOLDER OPTIONS|VIEW TAB
      and make sure you have SHOW HIDDEN FILES turned ON

      2) Copy C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE to an archive folder
      if you want to preserve an original copy for use with UNICODE files.

      3) Rename C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE to
      C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.MS
      Rename C:\WINNT\System32 \NOTEPAD.EXE to C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.MS
      (to preserve the original copies for future use)

      NOTE: Renaming EACH Notepad.exe will bring up the Windows File Protection
      dialog box
      (it may be hidden behind other windows on your screen) - Click Cancel

      It will then prompt that you chose not to restore original versions - Click Yes

      4) Copy C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NOTEPAD.STB to
      C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.STB

      5) Rename C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.STB to C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE

      6) In NoteTab, create the attached NOTEPAD.INI file and Save As
      C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.INI

      NOTE: This points to the NoteTab Pro executable. You will need to edit it if
      NoteTab Pro is not in the default folder or if you are using a different
      version of NoteTab.
      It is imperative that the path and filenames be 100% correct including
      spaces where applicable - Triple check yourself.

      HINT: copy and pasting the path and file name from the Explorer window to
      the below Notepad.ini file will help to insure that they are accurate.

      <<NOTEPAD.INI>>
      (The contents of NOTEPAD.INI should look exactly like this - check syntax
      carefully.)
      [Application]
      ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic