Name the Miniature Competition - Win this Weekend, enter now!

  • aastaff01
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2012
      Hello Notables!

      It is competition time for all you Flintloque and Slaughterloo fans out there on the group.  Between now 3rd August and Monday 6th August I am running a competition to win the chance not only to get an as yet unreleased miniature but also the chance to create the profile for that miniature in play in both games!

      You can see the miniature on my personal blog HERE  ( http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=886 ).  So go along and look at the post and the come back here and read on! ....

      Ok, so you have now seen the miniature.  A mounted Trolkin by the name of 'Colonel Skand Stoyne' but who is he?  What is his story, his regiment, his profile in Flintloque and Slaughterloo?

      I would like all those who want to win this miniature and to see their idea of his identity officially put on Alternative Armies to post their idea on the group this weekend (PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME YOUR IDEA!) by reply to this thread.  About two hundred words please and do not worry about counting points or precision in game abilities descriptions are fine as I will aid the winner in finalising the text.

      Remember that one of the Valon releated postings made on the group by the end of Monday 6th August will also win my own personal pin badge by random draw (see HERE   http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=881 ) So get entering your character profile by posting it here but you can also post on any Valon matter (rules questions, character ideas, scenarios and more) for the chance to win the pin.

      Good Luck and I look forward to reading your ideas!

      Gavin Syme
      www.gavinsyme.co.uk
      http://tabletopwargamer.blogspot.co.uk
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2012
        OK. I admit I got a little carried away and it is a smidgen longer than 200 words!!!!!!!!

        But I hope you enjoy it.

        Tony

        Colonel Skand Stoyne
        The most famous Trolkin of Stoyne

        The Troll-Mother had promised that she would take her two young Trolkin to see the new museum, a museum dedicated to that most famous son of Stoyne – Colonel Skand Stoyne of the Trolkin Militia.

        The museum had only recently acquired the third of three stone artefact all generously donated by that fine rock of the community Skand Stoyne and Colonel in the Kyngs Own Rifles Militia.

        The first exhibit was placed on a small velvet-covered plinth and had chiselled on a piece of slate;

        Portion of the nose of Colonel Skand Stoyne.
        During a sword duel Skand's opponent had called a truce to say that Skand had a fly on his nose. His reply was; "You knock it off, you're closer than I am."

        This is a shard taken off the nose during the duel.

        The two Trolkin hollered with glee as they also tried to knock portions of noses off one another. The Troll-Mother moved them on to the second exhibit, a Brass door knocker;

        Again chiselled into a much larger piece of slate was the following;

        Nipple ring, ripped from Skand Stoyne during a boastful challenge with Mica Schist (a colleague of Skand).

        While walking home after a night drinking strong ale and eating concrete hardened ground bread Skand and Mica argued about who was the stronger. Skand said that for two Krone he would throw Mica across the ice filled river and on to the other side. The challenge was taken up by Mica and Skand swung Mica around his head three times before launching him across the river.

        Mica landed in the middle of the river and amongst the ice flows. "You missed!" was Mica's response. To which Skand replied – "I dina say I'd do it first time!"

        On the third attempt Mica grabbed at Skand's uniform pulling of his nipple ring, which due to Trolkin being larger than Orcs or Elves had been fashioned from the brass door knocker of the White Liar Tavern in Broomcoat.

        After some embarrassing question about "Why did he have a brass door knocker nipple ring?" The Troll-Mother was pleased to have a short rest as the curator took over and told the two your Trolkin about some of Skand's military career.

        As the olde Troll-Mother sat, she reminisced about her own youth and the times when she and Skand had searched the mountains for moss covered boulders. The right moss or algae could cause the Trolkins to hallucinate – get stoned. As she sat on a cold marble bench the second symptom of eating too many sharp mountain boulders in her youth began to trouble her. Her haemorrhoids –small pebbles which irritated and caused her discomfort began to throb. Had those hallucinations been worth it? Did Skand suffer in the same way?

        As the two Trolkin youths began to play up. The Troll-Mother rose and made her way to the third exhibit. A new exhibit only recently acquired.

        What has Skand donated this time?

        As she peered at the latest display, one of her charges screeched. "Look - piles of pebbles!" The Troll-Mother quickly ushered away the children before they could read the engraved stone slab.

        Colonel Skand Stoyne

        Experienced Trolkin Officer mounted on a huge Muskox.

        Armed with a stone club which Skand finds easier to use than a Marshals batten.

        Skills and bonuses.
        Super strong skin – like granite and able to fend off musket balls fired at any range longer than Medium as well as able to break swords that are not defined as Super quality.

        Stand like a Rock – Acts as a banner to any Trolking within 12 inches.

        Faults and forfeits.
        Terrible temper (those piles). Due to his extreme age he is less mobile and moves (on foot at half rate). Trolkin as they get older revert back to solid stone and eventually turn into boulders themselves.

        Every game there is a chance that all that Algae will have some effect.
        Roll a D6 at the start of Skand's first encounter and if 1 turns up. Skand will hallucinate.

        Roll D10 and see table;
        1 Charge at nearest unit to his front
        2 Start singing olde drinking songs (plus 1 to morale)
        3 Go all tearful and start to suck his thumb
        4 Fall off his Muskox and not be able to get up
        5 Retreat (minus 1 to morale)
        6 Turn to clay (actually just slump in the saddle)
        7 Sleep for two turns and then have a splitting headache for the rest of the game
        8 Drop his Club and want to dismount to pick it up (take two turns)
        9 Granite constitution and any hits/wounds will just not count
        10 Make up your own effect!

        --- In notablemembers@yahoogroups.com, "aastaff01" <aastaff01@...> wrote:

        > Hello Notables!
        > It is competition time for all you Flintloque and Slaughterloo fans out
        > there on the group. Between now 3rd August and Monday 6th August I am
        > running a competition to win the chance not only to get an as yet
        > unreleased miniature but also the chance to create the profile for that
        > miniature in play in both games!
        > You can see the miniature on my personal blog HERE
        > <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=886> (
        > http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=886
        > <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=886> ). So go along and look at
        > the post and the come back here and read on! ....
        > Ok, so you have now seen the miniature. A mounted Trolkin by the name
        > of 'Colonel Skand Stoyne' but who is he? What is his story, his
        > regiment, his profile in Flintloque and Slaughterloo?
        > I would like all those who want to win this miniature and to see their
        > idea of his identity officially put on Alternative Armies to post their
        > idea on the group this weekend (PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME YOUR IDEA!) by
        > about counting points or precision in game abilities descriptions are
        > fine as I will aid the winner in finalising the text.
        > Remember that one of the Valon releated postings made on the group by
        > the end of Monday 6th August will also win my own personal pin badge by
        > random draw (see HERE <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=881>
        > http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=881
        > <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=881> ) So get entering your
        > character profile by posting it here but you can also post on any Valon
        > matter (rules questions, character ideas, scenarios and more) for the
        > chance to win the pin.
        > Good Luck and I look forward to reading your ideas!
        > Gavin Symewww.gavinsyme.co.ukhttp://tabletopwargamer.blogspot.co.uk

      • matakakea
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2012
          Thats a lovely looking figure. I'll have to see if I can up with something over the weekend, although puchasing it will probably be the surer way of obtaining him.

          Chris.

          --- In notablemembers@yahoogroups.com, "aastaff01" <aastaff01@...> wrote:

          > Hello Notables!
          > It is competition time for all you Flintloque and Slaughterloo fans out
          > there on the group. Between now 3rd August and Monday 6th August I am
          > running a competition to win the chance not only to get an as yet
          > unreleased miniature but also the chance to create the profile for that
          > miniature in play in both games!
          > You can see the miniature on my personal blog HERE
          > <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=886> (
          > http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=886
          > <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=886> ). So go along and look at
          > the post and the come back here and read on! ....
          > Ok, so you have now seen the miniature. A mounted Trolkin by the name
          > of 'Colonel Skand Stoyne' but who is he? What is his story, his
          > regiment, his profile in Flintloque and Slaughterloo?
          > I would like all those who want to win this miniature and to see their
          > idea of his identity officially put on Alternative Armies to post their
          > idea on the group this weekend (PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME YOUR IDEA!) by
          > about counting points or precision in game abilities descriptions are
          > fine as I will aid the winner in finalising the text.
          > Remember that one of the Valon releated postings made on the group by
          > the end of Monday 6th August will also win my own personal pin badge by
          > random draw (see HERE <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=881>
          > http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=881
          > <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=881> ) So get entering your
          > character profile by posting it here but you can also post on any Valon
          > matter (rules questions, character ideas, scenarios and more) for the
          > chance to win the pin.
          > Good Luck and I look forward to reading your ideas!
          > Gavin Symewww.gavinsyme.co.ukhttp://tabletopwargamer.blogspot.co.uk

        • Robert Alderman
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2012
            Hey Gavin

            I'd be interested to see what people pin onto this mini!!!

            Cheers
            Rob

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4, 2012
              Hello Rob,

              You should enter me laddo.  You might win and it would be cool to have designed it and created the character too.  I will put the winners name on the web store page with the miniature and its story.

              Gavin.

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 4, 2012
                Hello Chris,

                I look forward to reading your entry on this character.  Perhaps luck will be with you, sure buying it will be a more certain way of getting it, but for half an hour of fun writing you could win it, or perhaps the pin badge and have your name in lights.

                Regards,

                Gavin.

                --- In notablemembers@yahoogroups.com, "matakakea" <cpryme@...> wrote:

                > Thats a lovely looking figure. I'll have to see if I can up with something over the weekend, although puchasing it will probably be the surer way of obtaining him.
                >
                > Chris.
                >
                > --- In notablemembers@yahoogroups.com, "aastaff01" aastaff01@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Notables!
                > > It is competition time for all you Flintloque and Slaughterloo fans out
                > > there on the group. Between now 3rd August and Monday 6th August I am
                > > running a competition to win the chance not only to get an as yet
                > > unreleased miniature but also the chance to create the profile for that
                > > miniature in play in both games!
                > > You can see the miniature on my personal blog HERE
                > > <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=886> (
                > > http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=886
                > > <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=886> ). So go along and look at
                > > the post and the come back here and read on! ....
                > > Ok, so you have now seen the miniature. A mounted Trolkin by the name
                > > of 'Colonel Skand Stoyne' but who is he? What is his story, his
                > > regiment, his profile in Flintloque and Slaughterloo?
                > > I would like all those who want to win this miniature and to see their
                > > idea of his identity officially put on Alternative Armies to post their
                > > idea on the group this weekend (PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME YOUR IDEA!) by
                > > about counting points or precision in game abilities descriptions are
                > > fine as I will aid the winner in finalising the text.
                > > Remember that one of the Valon releated postings made on the group by
                > > the end of Monday 6th August will also win my own personal pin badge by
                > > random draw (see HERE <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=881>
                > > http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=881
                > > <http://www.gavinsyme.co.uk/blog/?p=881> ) So get entering your
                > > character profile by posting it here but you can also post on any Valon
                > > matter (rules questions, character ideas, scenarios and more) for the
                > > chance to win the pin.
                > > Good Luck and I look forward to reading your ideas!
                > > Gavin Symewww.gavinsyme.co.ukhttp://tabletopwargamer.blogspot.co.uk

              • Jamie
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 4, 2012
                  Working on an idea and hoping the muse comes to visit and get my fingers moving over the keyboard. Trolka are so far back on my 'to buy' list that I never gave them the imaginative consideration I've given others groups in the conflict over Valon.

                • Roger Willcox
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 5, 2012
                    Hi Jamie,
                    I find myself in a similar boat to yourself. Never thought much about Trolka until now. However "Trolland the Puckle Gunner" has turned that a bit on it`s head. So once again the vast scroll of my AA & 15mm wish list gets even longer! ~X( at wits' end
                    Of course, when it comes to writing backstories I tend to get so involved that 200 words is a little bit brief. I blame an early love of Homer. I`ve read the Illiad and Oddysey many times but no-where does anybody say "Doh!" and Achilles never has to fill a blackboard with "I must not drag dead enemies behind my chariot". Wierd that.
                    Cheers!
                    Roger?@_@? studying

                    --- In mailto:notablemembers%40yahoogroups.com, "aastaff01" <aastaff01@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Rob,
                    > You should enter me laddo. You might win and it would be cool to have
                    > designed it and created the character too. I will put the winners name
                    > on the web store page with the miniature and its story.
                    > Gavin.
                    > --- In mailto:notablemembers%40yahoogroups.com, Robert Alderman
                    > <rbrt_alderman@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hey Gavin
                    > >
                    > > I'd be interested to see what people pin onto this mini!!!
                    > >
                    > > Cheers
                    > > Rob
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • Dale C. Blessing
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 5, 2012
                      >>" ...I tend to get so involved that 200 words is a little bit brief." (quoting Roger)<<

                      “Aha!” as Winnie-The-Pooh would say. Hoist with your own petard.

                      On the plus side, they are such fascinating stories. You should give it a go. Even if Gavin doesn't use it, it will inspire the rest of us.

                      Cheers,
                      Dale

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 5, 2012

                        For your amusement:

                        Colonel Skand Stoyne

                        A Living Legend

                        The Trolkin, Colonel Skand Stoyne, is by far the best winter polo player in Valon. Winter polo is very popular in Skandavia, Copendaz, and Frozelande. It is similar to polo, but the players ride muskoxen or moose, and they use mallets or maces in one hand and a whip in the other, to compete for a ball. Otherwise, winter polo resembles buzkashi.

                        Skand and his team, the Headhunters, volunteered soon after Copendaz entered the war. Because of their popularity, the Headhunters were kept together as a new unit of Hussars, and Skand was appointed their Colonel. They went to the Witchlands with the Grande Armee.

                        In the Witchlands, Skand missed playing winter polo. Dejectedly, he swung his mace at a skull as he rode past. The skull bounced down the road ahead. Suddenly, all of the Headhunters' muskoxen gave chase, to the surprise of their riders. The muskoxen wanted to play, and for them a skull was as good as a ball. Skand grinned, and that evening he created a variant of winter polo that they could play against the undead. The goal of this game was making headshots.

                        Rules for Flintloque

                        Off with their heads! Mounted troops led by Colonel Stoyne receive a +3 bonus instead of +2 when charging against infantry.

                        Winter Polo veterans. When mounted troops led by Colonel Stoyne are charged by cavalry, the enemy's charge bonus is reduced by one.

                        Pep Talk. Once per game, Colonel Stoyne can spend an action to give a rousing pep talk. Remove shaken counters from all friendly units within 30 cm of Colonel Stoyne.

                        Go for the Win! Whenever Colonel Stoyne starts his activation within 24 cm of an enemy officer or Liche that he can see, Colonel Stoyne must charge him if he is able, i.e. Colonel Stoyne moved on the previous turn and can reach the target's location. Colonel Stoyne can choose which officer or liche to charge if there several within 24 cm.

                        Rules for Slaughterloo

                        Winter Polo Veterans. When charging against infantry, a mounted unit lead by Colonel Stoyne benefits from a +1 Melee modifier. When charged by mounted troops, a mounted unit lead by Colonel Stoyne reduces the enemy Melee modifier by one.

                      • matakakea
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 6, 2012
                          Skand Stoyne, Colonel of the 4th 'Angrymanlaand' Lergo Regiment. This stoney faced veteran has led his men through the worst that the Witchlands can throw at them. Surveyiong the feild from his faithful Musk Ox Gunnhilda, he holds his men rock steady as they fire disciplined volleys into the enemy. As soon as the foe falters he will lead the charge sweeping into them like an avalanche, knocking heads from their bodies with his trusty warhammer Splaat (so called because of the sound it makes on connecting with yet another victim). Those who manage to dodge Splaat usually end up under Gunnhilda's hooves, proving time and angain that getting stoyned can be a deadly experience.

                          Colonel Skand Stoyne.
                          Veteran Regular Trollkin.
                          Warhammer, Stoney Skin.
                          Musk Ox.