Tales from the White Liar Tavern Launched on Barking Irons

  • Craig Andrews
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2011
      Heya Folks,

      Today Barking Irons is proud to launch a new ongoing feature, Tales
      from the White Liar Tavern. Developed by members of the Notables Yahoo
      group from a concept by Tony Harwood, the White Liar Tales are pieces
      of fan written fiction set in the World of Valon linked together by
      the premise of stories shared over fine ale at the White Liar Tavern
      in the town of Broomcoat, Albion. All stories will share the same
      introductory paragraph then spin off into original high quality
      Flintloque Fiction for you to enjoy.

      To launch the series Tony has written the first tale which tells of a
      Dwarven survivor of an Ogre attack in the woods of Diberia sharing his
      story with the patrons of the White Liar in exchange for some ale.

      Tony and Flintloque artist, Edward Jackson, have also created a
      fantastic piece of art illustrating the Tavern.

      "Dwarven Spirits" can be found in the Flintloque Adventures section of
      Barking Irons.

      Keep The Flag Flying !

      Craig Andrews
      Editor
      Barking Irons
      http://www.barkingirons.co.uk
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2011
        I think the artwork done by Edward is great - well done.

        I look forward to reading submissions from other Notables and don't forget that there is a similar tavern in the Prydian Sector as well as another in a small Greek port.

        Tony
        http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

        --- In notablemembers@yahoogroups.com, Craig Andrews <madwelshwizard@...> wrote:

        > Heya Folks,
        >
        > Today Barking Irons is proud to launch a new ongoing feature, Tales
        > from the White Liar Tavern. Developed by members of the Notables Yahoo
        > group from a concept by Tony Harwood, the White Liar Tales are pieces
        > of fan written fiction set in the World of Valon linked together by
        > the premise of stories shared over fine ale at the White Liar Tavern
        > in the town of Broomcoat, Albion. All stories will share the same
        > introductory paragraph then spin off into original high quality
        > Flintloque Fiction for you to enjoy.
        >
        > To launch the series Tony has written the first tale which tells of a
        > Dwarven survivor of an Ogre attack in the woods of Diberia sharing his
        > story with the patrons of the White Liar in exchange for some ale.
        >
        > Tony and Flintloque artist, Edward Jackson, have also created a
        > fantastic piece of art illustrating the Tavern.
        >
        > "Dwarven Spirits" can be found in the Flintloque Adventures section of
        > Barking Irons.
        >
        > Keep The Flag Flying !
        >
        > Craig Andrews
        > Editor
        > Barking Irons
        > http://www.barkingirons.co.uk

      • Roger Willcox
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2011
          Hi Tony, Craig and Ed,
          It`s pretty obvious that you`ve been to Broomcoat! The drawig of the "White Liar Tavern" is spot on, even down to the cat!  Ithink I shall have to build a model of it when I get time. Great story to start things off. When things get a bit less hectic I have some ideas that I want to put together as a short story for submission, and no it`s not Harry Oliphaunt`s rather dubious story of an Albionorc, a Joccian, a  Guinelean and a Gnome who went down the pub and....................
          Hmmm.....
          Many thanks for a great yarn.
          Cheers!
          Rog

          Message 4 of 6 , May 14, 2011
            Hello All,

            Excellent new feature on BIO!

            Well done to Tony, great little 'vignette' of fiction there.

            Here is to more tales from the White Liar Tavern!

            Perhaps I should sharpen my own quill.

            Gavin.

          • reflectionsofmidnight@yahoo.co.uk
            Message 5 of 6 , May 19, 2011
              What's the latin for "happy birthday you old trout"?

              Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone from Virgin Media

              From: Roger Willcox <roger.willcox1@...>
              Sender: notablemembers@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 12:21:57 +0100 (BST)
              To: <notablemembers@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: notablemembers@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , May 20, 2011
                Salve Davidus,
                I presume by the nature of the phrase "happy birthday you old trout" you want to know the "vulgar" or "street" Latin rather than "classical". Let`s face it I don`t think that the orator Cicero or the stoic Cato (a right misery if there ever was) would use the term "you old trout", very un Roman! Such language is the resort of the barbarian who has yet to be taught the benefits of Roman rule. Eheu!
                However, if one were to call in on Aselia`s tavern in Pompeii one might hear the greeting "Senectus piscis,dia natalia beatus habis!" "Happy birthday you aged fish" this would of course be delivered with the slightly nasal Oscan accent of the ordinary Pompeiian. However if the speaker had knowledge of fish other than those of the Mediterranian (a scruffy Gaul or Briton possibly) and actually knew what a trout was he might call out "Senectus truitis, dia natalia beatus habis!" However this is highly unlikely, the Gauls and Britons are far more likely to stick a sword into one as they are still sulking after their defeats at the hands of our glorious legions. Hail the legion XX Valeria Victrix!
                I do hope that this answers your question. I highly recommend Aselina`s tavern, it`s not far from the forum  and her serving girls, Ismina, Smyrina,(both Syrians) and Aegle (a Greek) are very welcoming, mind you Eutychis "a refined Greek" young lady can be yours for only five assi! (She rents one of the rooms upstairs). The wine is good and I recommend the stuffed doormice fried in honey with almonds, dates, and bread cubes. Delicious with a dash of garum (fish sauce).
                Hail Caesar!
                Ave et salute!
                Rogerius.