North Korea: Beyond the DMZ and other films on PBS!

  • naataptv
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13 4:34 PM
      Dear Community Member,

      Each year, NAATA presents a phenomenal selection of Asian
      American films to both PBS and the public in celebration
      of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month in May.
      This year's highlights include:

      NORTH KOREA: BEYOND THE DMZ
      *by JT Takagi and Hye Jung Park, 60 mins.
      *Check local broadcast schedule.
      Though continually demonized in America, few have any
      firsthand knowledge of the Democratic People's Republic of
      Korea. This compelling documentary follows a Korean
      American woman who goes to meet her relatives, and
      through unique footage of life in the North Korea and
      interviews with ordinary people and scholars, she opens a
      window into this nation and its people.

      WET SAND
      *by Dai Sil Kim-Gibson, 60 mins.
      *Check local broadcast schedule.
      This documentary explores the aftermath of the 1992
      LA Civil Unrest, through the stories of the victims and
      witnesses. Interviews with the parents of Eddie Lee, who was
      killed in the riots, provide a jumping off point for dialogue
      between the diverse African, Latino, Korean and White
      communities, probing into racial and economic issues that
      not only shaped the climate of 1992 Los Angeles, but also
      continue to affect all of America today.

      In order make sure that these incredible broadcasts reach the
      community, we are asking for your help to get the word out.
      There are two easy ways for you to get involved:

      *Watch the Broadcasts & Spread the Word. Tell your members,
      chapters, and affiliates through your website, newsletter, or
      upcoming event by using the outreach materials available on
      our website. To find out when our films will be airing in your
      town, go to
      www.naatanet.org/heritagemonth/2005/learn_broadcasts.html.

      *Hold your own Screening. This year, we're continuing our
      wildly successful 2004 screening campaign with community groups
      nationwide. We provide you with a free tape and a host of
      planning resources in exchange for your feedback. Host a
      screening over a brown-bag lunch, in-service training, or
      in addition to an existing Heritage Month celebration.
      Visit www.naatanet.org/heritagemonth to learn how.

      Please give me a call at 415.863.0814 ext. 207 or
      email me at outreach@... to discuss how to hold
      your own screening or for more broadcast information. Don't
      miss this opportunity to spread the richness and diversity of
      the Asian American experience!

      Sincerely,

      Bonnie Shiu, Outreach Coordinator
      NAATA - National Asian American Telecommunications Association