Re: [norse_course] Yikes!

  • Gaël DEEST
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18 7:36 AM
      Hi Grace,

      I'm unsure of what you mean when you say that I'd be better to compare
      my work to Alan's.

      If you're worrying about the possibility of your translation
      misleading me, don't. I find it interesting to study the work of
      others, be they experts or beginners. I try to read as "grammatically"
      as possible, and in a sense, reading the work of beginners is a good
      exercise as it really forces me to mentally check everything and be
      sure I agree with their analysis of the text (syntactically,
      grammatically and semantically), even on the passages I failed to
      translate. I feel this is the only way to develop a sense for the
      language, and ultimately read it in a natural way.

      However, if for some reason my last message was annoying or unpleasant
      to you, I am deeply sorry as it really wasn't my intention.

      Gaël

      On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Fred and Grace Hatton <hatton@...> wrote:
      > Hi Gaël,
      >
      > It would be far better to compare your translation to Alan's as I am just a
      > beginner who usually messes up the declensions and verb forms.
      >
      > Grace
      > Fred and Grace Hatton
      > Hawley Pa
    • Patti (Wilson)
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18 8:02 AM
        Hi Gael
        I used to translate with this group - you may see this message - but my words do not seem to be coming through
        so well now - Grace is modest with her achievements  - and where as she is correct in saying that Alan is the
        Great One with the Grammar - well he is - truly - but Grace should not be so modest  - she does really well
        I know Grace well enough to say that you have neither upset nor offended her at all - she just thinks her work is not
        as good as her friends know it is
        You are doing very well yourself too - it is an absorbing subject
        Kveðja
        Patricia

        I'm unsure of what you mean when you say that I'd be better to compare
        my work to Alan's.

        If you're worrying about the possibility of your translation
        misleading me, don't. I find it interesting to study the work of
        others, be they experts or beginners. I try to read as "grammatically"
        as possible, and in a sense, reading the work of beginners is a good
        exercise as it really forces me to mentally check everything and be
        sure I agree with their analysis of the text (syntactically,
        grammatically and semantically), even on the passages I failed to
        translate. I feel this is the only way to develop a sense for the
        language, and ultimately read it in a natural way.

        However, if for some reason my last message was annoying or unpleasant
        to you, I am deeply sorry as it really wasn't my intention.

        Gaël

        On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Fred and Grace Hatton <hatton@...> wrote:
        > Hi Gaël,
        >
        > It would be far better to compare your translation to Alan's as I am just a
        > beginner who usually messes up the declensions and verb forms.
        >
        > Grace
        > Fred and Grace Hatton
        > Hawley Pa

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

      • Patti (Wilson)
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18 8:05 AM
          I have told Gael that you are too modest by half Grace - and I stand by what I say
          Patricia

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18 12:06 PM
            Hi Patricia,

            I have been watching this group long enough to remember you as a once
            very active (and proficient) member of it. I honestly think everyone
            here is more skilled than I am, and I probably have more to learn from
            you than the other way around ! Yet you're right to say that it's an
            absorbing subject, and my interest for it is only growing as I - at
            last ! - find myself able to translate some bits of text. Learning old
            norse on one's own is a challenging, but ultimately incredibly
            rewarding experience.

            I'm happy if I didn't hurt anyone's feelings, as everyone is obviously
            doing his best to make my integration easier, and I have only
            gratitude for you all !

            I hope that you'll be able to rejoin soon, Patricia.

            Kveðja

            Gaël