Thanks, LN!

  • Fred and Grace Hatton
    Message 1 of 64 , Jan 31, 2009
      It can certainly have that meaning on its own ('bragðs skuluð
      höggnir' "you shall be hewn at once"), but in this context it makes
      more sense to interpret it as part of the idiom 'taka e-t (til)
      bragðs' "to take some step (to get out of difficulties)" (Zoega);
      'taka (e-ð) til bragðs' "find a solution" (Online Icelndic
      Dictionary). Fritzner cites this example in Njála 129: 'taka e-t til
      bragðs' "gribe til noget som Hjælp eller Udvei i Nød eller Fare", Nj.
      152; Grett. 75., 'taka e-t bragðs' "d[et] s[amme] Heilag. II, 56717;
      Nj. 129 (19913)" (seize something as a help or solution in difficulty
      or danger [...] the same).

      (1) Það taka þeir bragðs að þeir flytja hana til báls er Auðunn
      hafði búið.
      "What they decide to do [to deal with this situation] is to carry her
      to the pyre that Auðunn had prepared."

      (2) Hann leitaði ráðs við marga vitra menn hvað hann skyldi til
      bragðs taka en engi gat það ráð til gefið er dygði.
      "He sought counsel with many wise men as to what course he should take
      [how he might resolve the problem], but no one managed to come up with
      a plan that was of any use."

      (3) Haraldr konungr helt nú ráðstefnu við lið sitt, hvat til bragðs
      skyldi taka í þeim vanda ok nauðsynjum er þeim váru nú at höndum komnar.
      "King Harald held council now with his men on what action they should
      take regarding this difficulty and [these] troubles which they now faced."

      Grace
      Fred and Grace Hatton
      Hawley Pa
    • Fred and Grace Hatton
      Message 64 of 64 , Jan 27, 2010
        Thanks, LN, for sorting that out.
        Grace
        > Þykist eg ekki af því vaxa þótt eg bíði heiman þræla Haralds konungs og
        > elti þeir oss af eignum vorum eða þiggja af þeim dauða með öllu."

        > It seems to me not from it to grow although I wait at home (as?) King
        > Harald's thrall, and they chase us from our possessions or accept from
        > them death altogether."

        <vaxa> here "grow greater in fame" (Z4). Paraphrasing a bit: "I do not think
        that I will grow more famous, even if I wait for King Harald's thralls and
        they chase us from our possessions, or I meet my death at their hands."
        <þræla> is genitive plural; the verb <bíða> takes a genitive object to
        express what is waited for. <heiman> literally "from home", referring to the
        thralls setting out from their home to do these dastardly deeds.

        In Modern Icelandic, the present subjunctive 1st person sg. would be
        <þiggi>, in Old Icelandic <þiggja>, which makes me think perhaps whoever
        adapted it to the modern standard spelling overlooked it, thinking it was
        the infinitive.

        Fred and Grace Hatton
        Hawley Pa