ON Englar

  • akoddsson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2009
      Some ON-related comments on English men. About half of the folk
      working on oil-riggs, -platforms, or -refineries, or working within
      the oil-service sector (ship-yards, shipping, parts-manufacturing,
      etc.), in Norway are British, and most often English. Despite it's
      border with Russia, Norway partners with Great Britian in the oil-
      adventure, which is as British as Norwegian, and then even in the
      North Sea. I, myself, am presently on an English platform. Truly, the
      reason is historical. It is said that men share a common culture
      (mint, ale, law, etc.), and to that end I witness that I have never
      seen, nor heard of, any kind of conflict whatsoever between Norwegian
      and Bristish workers. Either they are birds of a feather, or that
      gomes on the same boat get along, or both. But I think the reason is
      historical. Contrary to what one might assume, unkithminded (non-
      genealogically interested), unyoreloreminded (non-historically
      interested) English gomes do often have an understanding of their
      historical relationship to Scandinavia. Not only does one here 'the
      vikings came from here', but also 'we came from here', with reference
      to the migration age. I wonder, is that taught in British schools, or
      do men learn this by word of mouth? Anyway, it's true. We have a map
      of Old Scandinavia on the wall here, where the northern, hook-like
      part of Denmark, the homeland of the Englar, is so named! Just below
      it we see Jutland, the homeland of the Jutes, and below that Saxland,
      the homland of the Saxons, then a selfstanding northern rike, not a
      part of Germany. Southern Sweden is also Danish on this map, all the
      way to and with Bleking, reaching from Angeln east, as if part of it.
      Many who have learned seamanship are aware of the many Norse words
      brooked (used) in English seamanship. What must have happened is that
      seamanship took a step forward between the migration age and the
      viking age, changing the tools of the trade from when the Englar all
      lived in their old Homeland. Otherwise, loans like rudder and
      starboard would never have stuck. But I want to name for our readers
      that English are rightly called Englar in ON, and that the name ties
      into the shape of their old Homeland. Also, one can use the term
      Ongull in ON (see A.B.Magnusson, Islensk Ordsifjabok), but this more
      rightly names a hook, as in a fishing-hook. The same shape as the Old
      English strand, I say. The later 'Englendingar' is shaped after names
      like Sjalendingar, Islendingar, and so forth, and tends to come
      instead of Englar after the Latin 'angelus'(?) is loaned in with
      Kristendom, to steer away from giving the wrong meaning. Now, say the
      church and speakers of the newer Norse tung (tongue) what they will
      (or 'it' on the sg.pl.-thread), the English are rightly Englar in
      Norse, and can with right say, 'so shall we be called in your tung'.
      Awis. As in the days of the Waring-gilde in the Great Yard (i hinum
      mikla gardi/i Miklagardi), or under the other worldwar, so in the eld
      of black gold - the English and the Norse, the two are of one hare
      (army), whether the worst of their kin wot it or not.
      - Kynred, happily aboard with the Englar, and who should have written
      this hale post in English, although the later part is not so bad.