Norse obscenities

  • wyrdplace@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008
      I'm writing a novel about Viking Age Iceland, and I've gotten rather tired of the stilted Conan-the-Barbarian/fantasy movie dialog that I'm used to seeing in these things, so I'm trying for something more colloquial, figuring that, however the Norse spoke, it sounded natural to their ears -- not like everything was an epic pronouncement.

      I am, however, attempting to avoid modern phrases that are ridiculous, in context. I wouldn't, for example, have a character utter, "Give me a break!" or "Doh!"

      Towards this end, I was wondering about obscenities used in the time period, or at least common expressions. Does anyone know of any compilations of these that are easily accessible?

      Jamie
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008
        Hi Jamie,

        You might find something of use among these articles:

        http://www.ragnarokr.com/Scholarship/nidsenna.html
        http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/gayvik.shtml
        http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~alvismal/10yki.pdf

        LN

        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, wyrdplace@... wrote:

        > I'm writing a novel about Viking Age Iceland, and I've gotten rather
        tired of the stilted Conan-the-Barbarian/fantasy movie dialog that I'm
        used to seeing in these things, so I'm trying for something more
        colloquial, figuring that, however the Norse spoke, it sounded natural
        to their ears -- not like everything was an epic pronouncement.

        > I am, however, attempting to avoid modern phrases that are
        ridiculous, in context. I wouldn't, for example, have a character
        utter, "Give me a break!" or "Doh!"

        > Towards this end, I was wondering about obscenities used in the time
        period, or at least common expressions. Does anyone know of any
        compilations of these that are easily accessible?

        > Jamie

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008

          I know the Viking Answer Lady as an accurate source on Icelandic names.  Inasmuch as

          obscenities were used as bynames (my favorite is “well-sh*tter”), she might be able to assist you.

          Scott Catledge