Re: Bergbúa Þáttr / Alan's Translation

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2008
      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "AThompson" <athompso@...> wrote:

      > [...] It seems that the text of the flokkr you are quoting is
      slightly different to the text that was originally posted by Michiel.
      Is that because you know it to be a ‘better’ text?

      No, I just grabbed it from another online version with a slightly
      different style of normalisation [
      http://www.snerpa.is/net/isl/bergb.htm ]. The differences, in this
      strophe at least, aren't significant; that is, they don't affect the
      meaning and may be editorial choices. The version Michiel posted just
      uses a more archaic norm for the verse, with 'þás' rather than 'þá er'
      "when", and 'of' rather than 'um' "over, across, above". There are two
      other normalised versions here which might be worth comparing [
      http://www3.hi.is/~eybjorn/ugm/skindex/berg.html ]. In these, there is
      a significant difference; in the first strophe, one has 'gramr um
      bratta hamra' (steep cliffs), the other 'gramr of døkkva hamra' (dark
      cliffs).

      > Gnýr, þás gengr enn hári gramr of dökkva hamra.
      > (It) roars, when treads yet (the) hoary king over (the) dark crags.

      Here 'enn' is another example of an archaism. It's an old spelling of
      the free-standing definite article, more often normalised as 'inn' or
      'hinn' (hence the weak form of the adjective that follows it).
    • ulvessar
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
        Thanks a lot Alan, Llama Nom and Grace for you translations and notes!
        One member called Santiago e-mailed me just before I left last week
        that a translation of the poem can be found in The Complete Sagas of
        Icelanders, Vol. II. I will look it up this week at the university
        library and see how it compares to your translations. Due to the magic
        that the stunning coast-line of Brittany have worked on me and due to
        my lack of skill I haven't finished a full translation yet myself,
        although I did do some lines of the prose. Alan: I have a couple of
        weeks still, so take your time. By the way, your post contains a lot
        of strange signs on my screen, like in "Bergbúa Þáttr". Am I
        missing a certain font, or is there another way I could fix this? I
        can read most of the English with no problems, though.

        Thanks again and greetings,

        Michiel

        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@...> wrote:

        > Welcome to the group, Michiel!
        >
        > I hope the translation is going well. You might know this already, but
        > there's now a complete scanned version of Lexicon Poeticum online [
        > http://www.septentrionalia.net/lex/index2.php?book=e&page=-15&ext=png
        > ]. Feel free to post any questions; we'll help if we can.
        >
        > Good luck,
        > Llama Nom

      • ulvessar
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
          P.S. I just noticed that the symbol problem pertains only to the Yahoo
          website version of the message; in my e-mail inbox it is fine.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "ulvessar" <flechdrop@...> wrote:

            > [...] Alan: I have a couple of
            > weeks still, so take your time. By the way, your post contains a lot
            > of strange signs on my screen, like in "Bergbúa Þáttr". Am I
            > missing a certain font, or is there another way I could fix this? I
            > can read most of the English with no problems, though.

            > P.S. I just noticed that the symbol problem pertains only to the
            Yahoo website version of the message; in my e-mail inbox it is fine.

            Hi Michiel,

            If you're using Firefox, go to the VIEW menu, and select CHARACTER
            ENCODING, then UNICODE UTF-8. (Or if it's already on Unicode and the
            special characters are garbled/unreadable, change it to WESTERN
            ISO-8859-1.) If you're using Internet Explorer, go to the VIEW menu,
            select ENCODING, then change from WESTERN EUROPEAN (Windows) to
            UNICODE UTF-8.

            LN