translate please

  • D Jackson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
      god dag,

          Could I possibly ask for translation help
      once again? If so I need
      "white raven's keep" translated.

      tak

      Adisa
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hi Adisa,

        As a phrase, you could have: "virki hins hvíta hrafns". Or as a
        compound, perhaps: "hvíthrafnsvirki" (hvít- + -hrafns- + -virki).
        "virki" means "fortress, stronghold". I don't know if there's a single
        word recorded in Old Norse that means specifically the "keep" of a
        castle; there might be though. Here are are a few alternatives:

        borg = town, city; castle; hill
        höll = hall
        kastali = castle
        turn = tower

        The last two are loanwords, originally from Latin "castellum" and
        "turris". Modern Icelandic has a word "virkisturn" (castle tower); I
        don't know how old the combination is, but it would make sense in Old
        Norse.

        LN