Re: Greenland Sage Ch6 toend and Begin 7 Patricia's Translation

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12 7:56 AM
      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia" <originalpatricia@...>
      wrote:

      > og beiddi þá að þeir færu til Vínlands með farkost sinn og hafa
      helming gæða allra við hana, þeirra er þar fengjust. Nú játtu þeir því.
      > and she asked them whether they would go to Vinland with her ship
      and share half of all the goods they acquired with her. Now they
      agreed to it

      That's right, except that I think 'sinn' might be "their" ship.
      Grammatically it could be "her" or "their" (referring back to the
      subject of the main clause, Freydís, or the embedded/subordinate
      clause, the brothers), but I got the impression she was asking them if
      they'd come along with their ship which is bigger than the one she
      has. Given what happens later, maybe she's already thinking about how
      she can get her hands on it... 'fengjust' is the modern form of the
      3rd person subjunctive plural = ON 'fengist', earlier 'fengisk'.
    • Patti (Wilson)
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12 8:03 AM
        Oh Right Point Taken - yes I believe Sinn would make more sense translated
        as 'their '  I do not like the sound of what I have heard about Freydis Eiriksdottir
        Thanks for all your comments

        Fenguist - yes,  and fengisk  3rd Subj Pl yes - Got that on board
        Kveðja
        Patricia

        > og beiddi þá að þeir færu til Vínlands með farkost sinn og hafa
        helming gæða allra við hana, þeirra er þar fengjust. Nú játtu þeir því.
        > and she asked them whether they would go to Vinland with her ship
        and share half of all the goods they acquired  with her. Now they
        agreed to it

        That's right, except that I think 'sinn' might be "their" ship.
        Grammatically it could be "her" or "their" (referring back to the
        subject of the main clause, Freydís, or the embedded/subordinate
        clause, the brothers), but I got the impression she was asking them if
        they'd come along with their ship which is bigger than the one she
        has. Given what happens later, maybe she's already thinking about how
        she can get her hands on it... 'fengjust' is the modern form of the
        3rd person subjunctive plural = ON 'fengist', earlier 'fengisk'.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)