Introduction for the new ones

  • Óskar Guðlaugsson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
      Heil öll, ok heil öll þér nýju (and hail all ye new ones),

      By "new ones" I'm referring to the wave of new members we've had on
      this list the past two weeks or so. The membership has grown by 50
      persons, about 33%. I bid all of you, who are new, welcome to our list
      and our course :)

      You may be finding some things a bit confusing here:

      First, if you actually read the introductory message in the "Home"
      section, ignore it; erase it out of your head. It was written in the
      first days of this course, some time in December. Only one person is
      able to update it, the list's owner (who is that?), but he (or she?)
      hasn't ever found the time or insight to do so. That person promises
      to update it soon, though.

      Next, you will probably find confusing that there is something called
      "Chapter One", which you're all being adviced to read (by me), but
      then there are five "Lessons", including "Lesson One". The lessons are
      part of the old system we were running. Recently, we decided to
      rewrite the material with even more explanations and more exercises;
      the first result is "Chapter One". "Chapter Two" is near completion,
      meanwhile. Our intention is to produce and publish those, from now on.
      Most of the few students who have reached lesson 5 need to review the
      material, anyway, in my judgement.

      So what you should do, then, is to complete Chapter One, thoroughly,
      and if Chapter Two still isn't there, start with the old Lesson 2 and
      work yourself on from that. The course is in a bit of a transition
      stage, but I hope you'll abide by it :)

      Finally, there are a few key persons here I should mention (hope they
      won't mind me making this introduction of them):

      Haukur - haukurth@...
      The list's owner; the man behind this course. He is
      kept very busy by homework at the university, and his
      high school teaching job. He doesn't work much on the
      lessons, but usually takes his time to answer letters
      and participate in the list discussions; so feel free
      to write to him if you have a question or want to tell
      him or us something :) Haukur is a 20 years old male
      from Iceland, and lives in Reykjavík.

      Óskar - hr_oskar@...
      That's me :) I am also busy in that I have a job, and
      I need to study too, though it's all much less stressed
      than in the case of Haukur. So I'm the one who has taken
      the time to write most of the recent lessons, including
      Chapter One. You should also feel free to write any
      questions or comments to me. I am a 21 years old male,
      also from Reykjavík, Iceland (I live just 5 minutes away
      from Haukur).

      Arlie - arlie@...
      Our faithful proofreader and helper :) She was our first
      student here. British computer programmer living in
      California. Will probably provide you with better help
      on things regarding computers than we would, as the
      recent formats discussion has revealed. She deserves
      special thanks and honour from us for her help throughout :)

      E-Ching - e-ching.ng@...
      Another of our faithful helpers :) Studies English lit.
      at Yale university, and provides us with some extra muscle
      in the field of linguistics. She also deserves special
      thanks for her efforts :)

      Keth/ - keth@... / xigung@...
      Xigung Keth is a Norwegian with considerable background in European
      languages. He has been with us since early times, and
      entertained us with many wideranging discussions, sometimes
      debates. His approach to ON involves more comparison to
      other languages, especially German (in which he is fluent).
      He has also contributed well in the field of keyboard
      standards and text formats, for which we thank him :) If
      you're finding it hard to follow some of Keth's meditations,
      then do not panic! :)

      There are a number of other active list members that I might mention,
      but I think they'd rather define themselves by their own posts.

      Hope you all enjoy our material, and the discussions on the list! :)

      Óskar
    • gwiddon8@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
        Thank you oskar and Haukur,

        These were great intro's for us "old" ones too :{}. My gods! I was
        just sitting here musing, trying to remember where I was and what I
        was doing at 20......such a long time ago....Who would have thought
        I'd be studying Old Norse via computer.
        Life is an adventure.

        Regards

        Alice

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
          Óskar has the >.

          >First, if you actually read the introductory message in the "Home"
          >section, ignore it; erase it out of your head. It was written in the
          >first days of this course, some time in December. Only one person is
          >able to update it, the list's owner (who is that?), but he (or she?)
          >hasn't ever found the time or insight to do so. That person promises
          >to update it soon, though.

          >Haukur - haukurth@...
          > The list's owner; the man behind this course. He is
          > kept very busy by homework at the university, and his
          > high school teaching job. He doesn't work much on the
          > lessons, but usually takes his time to answer letters
          > and participate in the list discussions; so feel free
          > to write to him if you have a question or want to tell
          > him or us something :) Haukur is a 20 years old male
          > from Iceland, and lives in Reykjavík.

          A 20 years old male from Iceland? You're so imprecise;
          "A 20 years old HUMAN male from Iceland" would be better:)

          >Óskar - hr_oskar@...
          > That's me :) I am also busy in that I have a job, and
          > I need to study too, though it's all much less stressed
          > than in the case of Haukur. So I'm the one who has taken
          > the time to write most of the recent lessons, including
          > Chapter One. You should also feel free to write any
          > questions or comments to me. I am a 21 years old male,
          > also from Reykjavík, Iceland (I live just 5 minutes away
          > from Haukur).

          Óskar is actually just as much "the man behind this course"
          as I am. It was I who had the original idea but Óskar has been
          writing the majority (though not all :þ ) of the stuff lately.

          You can actually recognise which texts Óskar writes and which
          texts I write. Mine deal with wormslaying, Óskar's deal with cheeseeating
          (he's such a peaceloving fellow).

          And we don't actually live in Reykjavík.

          Best regards,
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001

            and Óskar - hr_oskar@...). Seeing what kinds of errors people
            make helps us identify weak areas in the lessons, and thus to improve them.

            Everything regarding the Old Norse language is on topic here. You are welcome
            to post your own ponderings, questions, translation problems et cetera.

            Your teachers here are two young Icelanders with interest in languages and
            Old
            Icelandic studies.

            This is exclusively a language group. There are no religious or political
            strings
            attached.

            Everyone is welcome.
            - - - - - - -
          • robert blank
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2001
              Its good to eat cheese after slaying worms.
              Especially if your name is �l�fr. You guys work great
              together.

              Rob

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • birgit001@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2001
                In a message dated 3/1/01 3:05:22 AM Pacific Standard Time, haukurth@...
                writes:

                And we don't actually live in Reykjavík.

                Where, then?  Hafnarfjörður?
                Birgit
              • Óskar Guðlaugsson
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2001
                  > > And we don't actually live in Reykjavík.
                  > >

                  > Where, then? Hafnarfjörður?
                  > Birgit

                  No, Kópavogur.

                  To me, however, that is a needless detail; though Kópavogur is,
                  officially, an independent township, it has always functioned as a
                  suburb of Reykjavík. Nobody outside Iceland knows Kópavogur, while
                  some people know Reykjavík; so I prefer to say I live their, just to
                  make clear my geographical location (Kópavogur is closer to
                  central Reykjavík than some of the official suburbs of Reykjavík).

                  Óskar