Re: Greenland 2 end

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2008
      > Grace wrote: "Well this is interesting. Apparently sjór félli
      could mean the tide ebbed or rose."

      When the subject is water, rivers, etc., it often makes sense to
      translate 'falla' as "flow".

      Patricia queried: Hvorki skorti þar lax í ánni né í vatninu

      You got the right idea, "Neither was there a lack of salmon in the
      river nor in the lake". The modern spelling 'hvorki' = ON normalisd
      spelling 'hvár(t)ki'. And 'hvorki ... né' = "neither ... nor".

      > að því er þeim sýndist

      "as it seemed/looked/appeared to them"

      The other bits you underlined look fine to me, Patricia, but 'fjöru'
      is the dative of 'fjara' "ebb" (also means "shore", the part of the
      land that's covered by the tide) - nothing to do with the four
      cardinal points, as far as I know. And 'þar er á ein féll úr vatni
      einu' = "where a river flowed out from a lake". "á' = "river". 'féll',
      = 3rd person singular preterite of 'falla' "to fall; flow (of water).
      You were thinking of 'fjall' "hill, mountain, fell".

      > Nú vil eg skipta láta liði voru í tvo staði og vil eg kanna láta landið

      Jack wrote: "Now I want to let the company divide to be in two groups
      [can't really work the grammar of this bit] and I want to allow the
      land to be explored"

      'láta' often means to have something done, or cause something to be
      done, or have something done on one's orders (rather than just
      passively allow/let it be done), so you could translate it fairly
      literally as "I want (to have) the company divided in two and I want
      (to have) the land explored".

      All the verbs here are infinitives except for 'vil'.

      'skipta e-u í tvo staði' "to divide something into two"
      'skipta láta' = 'láta skipta' "to have (i.e. cause/order to be) divided"

      'kanna landið' "to explore the land"
      'kanna láta' = 'láta kanna' "to have (i.e. cause/order to be) explored".

      Both word orders are possible in Old Norse, so it's the same as
      saying: [nú vil eg [láta [skipta liði voru]]] "now I want our company
      divided/dividing" and [og vil eg [láta [kanna landið]]] "and I want
      the land explored/exploring".