Thanks, Alan and Patricia!

  • Fred and Grace Hatton
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2008
      Both Alan and Patricia have sorted these pasages out that I messed up.

      "Eigi vildi (past subj) eg herra," segir Þráinn, "að þér vænduð mig lygi
      (væna e-n e-u, Z3, cites this example) heldur vildi eg
      'I would not want, Lord,' says Þráin, 'that you charged me of a
      falsehood; rather I would-want

      að þér leituðuð um skipið."
      that you searched through (examined) the ship.

      Hann mælti: "Undarlegt skaplyndi er það að láta óverða (úverðr, Z2 =
      guiltless, cites this example) menn gjalda reiði sinnar."
      He spoke: 'An extraordinary disposition is that, to permit guiltless men
      to suffer on-account-of one's anger.'

      Grace
      Fred and Grace Hatton
      Hawley Pa
    • Patti (Wilson)
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2008
        In the first place Grace - I thought past subjunctive and the "Old Fashioned" way of speech that my own Granny used -
        "Would that I had -  when today it might come out as "I wish I had-
        The last one -  I imagined that the Earl was always angry and only his Dearly Loved son would have dared to frame a remark like that - so I thought - let him be daring - well it seemed to fit, but truthfully - I was not 100% sure

        It was after I sent it in - I felt like saying the Earl needed a Pot of Tea and a plate of Cucumber sandwiches.
        I am not sure if Alan will know of Noggin the Nog - it was a series of stories - purporting to be about the "Norsemen"

        "as they sat at their great log fires" - but I honestly think that the Saga sounds a bit like that series -
        Quite outlandish - and unconsciously entertaining

        Yes, and most enjoyable
        Patricia

        Both Alan and Patricia have sorted these pasages out that I messed up.

        "Eigi vildi (past subj) eg herra," segir Þráinn, "að þér vænduð mig lygi
        (væna e-n e-u, Z3, cites this example) heldur vildi eg
        'I would not want, Lord,' says Þráin, 'that you charged me of a
        falsehood; rather I would-want

        að þér leituðuð um skipið."
        that you searched through (examined) the ship.

        Hann mælti: "Undarlegt skaplyndi er það að láta óverða (úverðr, Z2 =
        guiltless, cites this example) menn gjalda reiði sinnar."
        He spoke: 'An extraordinary disposition is that, to permit guiltless men
        to suffer on-account-of one's anger.'

        Grace
        Fred and Grace Hatton
        Hawley Pa