Re: Njall 68 - Alan's Translation

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2007
      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "AThompson" <athompso@...> wrote:

      > "Koma mun til mín feigðin," segir Gunnar, "hvar sem eg er staddur ef
      mér verður þess auðið."
      > 'The foreboding-of-death will come to me,' says Gunnar, `wherever I
      am placed if it falls to my lot. (Z)'

      Good stuff; just one half-quibble: I think 'feigð' is, here at least,
      probably an objective thing (the approach/nearness of death, the state
      of being about to die as fated, with all that that implies about how
      you think and act) rather than the purely subjective sensation that
      the word "foreboding" might suggest. Not that anyone has accidental
      forebodings in these stories...

      CV has interesting articles on 'feigð' and 'feigr'.

      http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/png/oi_cleasbyvigfusson/b0149.png