Eye of Odin

  • victor_akl_nz
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hi all, just wondering if anyone on the list could enlighten me as to
      the source/s that refer to Odin's missing eye and if they actually
      state which eye he kept and which eye was missing.

      I've come across various authors who seem to differ in oppinion to each
      other which was actually missing and it would be good to clarify this.
      Any help much appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Victor.
    • Jamie Fessenden
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
        To the best of my knowledge, which eye he lost is never specified in the archaic written sources.  I could be wrong, of course -- I haven't read the entire corpus of Norse literature, and it's also possible I did read it, but don't remember.  But I think later authors and artists simply chose whichever eye seemed right to them.

        Jamie

        Hi all, just wondering if anyone on the list could enlighten me as to
        the source/s that refer to Odin's missing eye and if they actually
        state which eye he kept and which eye was missing.

        I've come across various authors who seem to differ in oppinion to each
        other which was actually missing and it would be good to clarify this.
        Any help much appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Victor.

      • forever_twisted_rocker
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
          Odin offered his left eye. I have done various research over the
          years that all say the left eye was given to be used as insight to
          certain upcoming, or somthing of the sort.

          --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie Fessenden"

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
            I'd answer the same way as Jamie did. Neither eye is specified in
            Simek: Dictionary of Northern Mythology (trsn. Angela Hall); Odin is
            just said to sacrifice "an eye". Neither eye is specified in the
            prose of Gylfaginning, nor in the corresponding stanza from Völuspá.

            Þar kom Alföðr ok beiddist eins drykkjar af brunninum, en hann fekk
            eigi, fyrr en hann lagði auga sitt at veði. Svá segir í Völuspá:

            "All-father (=Odin) came there (to Mimir's well) and asked for a drink
            from the well, but he didn't get one till he'd pledged his eye. So it
            says in Völuspá:"

            Allt veit ek, Óðinn,
            hvar þú auga falt,
            í þeim inum mæra
            Mímisbrunni.
            Drekkr mjöð Mímir
            morgin hverjan
            af veði Valföðrs.
            Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?

            "I know all, Odin, where you hid your eye in the famous well of Mimir.
            Mimir drinks mead every morning from Val-father's (=Odin's) pledge.
            Do you understand yet (or: do you know more), or what?"

            Völsunga saga:

            Hann var hár mjök ok eldiligr ok einsýnn.
            "He was very tall, old-looking and one-eyed."

            Hann hafði eitt auga ok geir í hendi.
            "He had one eye and a spear in his hand."

            Þá kom at einn maðr, hár ok eldiligr, með eitt auga...
            "Then a man came up, tall and old-looking, with one eye..."

            Of four pictures in the Wikipedia entry on Odin, two have the left eye
            missing, two the right eye [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin#_note-0
            ]. While the text of the article does specify the left eye, it
            doesn't source the claim. The footnote at the end of the following
            sentence directs us to Anthony Faulkes translation of Skáldskaparmál
            (without any page reference), but I think this is probably just a
            reference for the story of Odin's theft of the mead. I searched an
            online text of Skáldskaparmál for the strings 'aug' and 'eyg', and all
            I found about Odin's eye was this verse by Þjóðólfr inn hvinverski
            about a battle:

            Valr lá þar á sandi,
            vitinn inum eineygja
            Friggjar faðmbyggvi,
            fögnuðum dáð slíkri.

            "The dead lay there on the sand, destined for the one-eyed dweller in
            the embrace of Frigg (i.e. Frigg's husband, Odin). We rejoiced in
            such a deed / such daring."

            I also searched online texts (with normalised spelling) of likely
            Eddic poems for the string 'aug' but without finding any clue about
            which eye Odin gave up.

            A cursory look at the Internet shows claims either way, for left and
            right (which undermine those statements that claim one or the other to
            be "generally believed"), as well as opinions that there is no
            evidence in Old Norse texts. Most claims for a specific eye are
            backed up by nothing at all. Some are backed up by rationalisations
            based on personal symbolism or intuition; at least one is supported by
            a dream! Possibly my favourite is: "You need to check the
            literature...Odin snatched out his own RIGHT eye to give to Mimir. Not
            his left" - with, of course, no hint about where to look. I haven't
            found any claim for a specific eye yet which even mentions a
            particular Old Norse source, but my knowledge is incomplete too, so I
            can't rule out the possibility that some exists. Maybe
            "forever_twisted_rocker" can enlighten us?

            LN

            --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "forever_twisted_rocker"

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
              > this verse by Þjóðólfr inn hvinverski

              (Has also been treated as part of Haraldskvæði by Þorbjörn hornklofi,
              in which case the words are spoken by an approving raven.)

              --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > can't rule out the possibility that some exists. Maybe
              > "forever_twisted_rocker" can enlighten us?
              >
              > LN
              >

              > --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "forever_twisted_rocker"
              > <forever_twisted_rocker@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Odin offered his left eye. I have done various research over the
              > > years that all say the left eye was given to be used as insight to
              > > certain upcoming, or somthing of the sort.
              > >

              > > --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie Fessenden"
              > > <wyrdplace@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > To the best of my knowledge, which eye he lost is never specified
              > > in the archaic written sources. I could be wrong, of course -- I
              > > haven't read the entire corpus of Norse literature, and it's also
              > > possible I did read it, but don't remember. But I think later
              > > authors and artists simply chose whichever eye seemed right to them.

            • Victor Hansen