The second part of Ch5 Eirik's Saga Rauða

  • Patricia Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2007
      Any one using Gwyn Jones translation will see that this is in Ch4
      dont let that get in your way - we are using what appears to me
      to be the transcription of an original text from which I copy and
      paste our assignments

      I notice that the Penguin Classic with translations  by Magnusson
      and Paulsson use "our" numbering of the Chapters I believe the
      Numbering of the Chapters we are using - to be Correct - that is
      of course anyone wants to confirm differently
      Kveðja
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2007
        Unless a translation actually says that its chapter divisions are
        based on those found in whichever manuscript it's based on, I wouldn't
        assume that they are. As Ralph O'Connor, justifying his own decision
        to follow manuscript chapter divisions, writes: "Many modern editions
        and translations [...] follow chapter divisions arbitrarily imposed by
        the saga's early editors. This is a matter of convention and allows
        for convenient cross-referencing [...]" (Icelandic Histories &
        Romances 2002, p. 49).

        Does anyone know which manuscript our version is from (Hauksbók or
        Skálholtsbók)? I've no idea how great the differences are...

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eir%C3%ADks_saga_rau%C3%B0a

        There's an edition of Hauksbók at Saganet, so if someone has time,
        they could compare that: Vol. II, pp. 425-444.

        http://saga.library.cornell.edu/saganet/?MIval=/SinglePage&Manuscript=100137&Page=602&language=english

        Incidentally, I see there's a version online with normalised Old
        Icelandic spelling [
        http://www.heimskringla.no/original/islendingesagaene/eirikssagarauda.php
        ], if anyone wants to switch to that?

        LN