Re: touchwood?? on prophetess' belt

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
      Greetings.

      > Both M& P and Jones translate what she had about her waist not as
      > a belt, but as "touchwood." I thought maybe it had something to
      > do with the superstitious "knock on wood" or "touch wood" thing
      > people still do today, but I finally got a chance to look it up
      > and it seems to mean tinder or a particular type of fungus that is
      > good to use to start fires. So unless this material is usually
      > pounded before use or was in a different pouch on her belt, it
      > seems unlikely that anything so fragile would be dangling from
      > her belt.
      > Grace
      > Fred and Grace Hatton
      > Hawley Pa

      Grace, thank you for such a wonderful post. It added fuel to my
      thinkings.

      Having started to follow the push to learn flint-and-steel
      firemaking, I can offer this web site which has a picture of what's
      called "Tinder Fungus":
      http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?products_id=363

      Although, I haven't ordered or worked with this stuff yet, it is
      dried and looks farily durable.

      Frith,
      Adrian
    • Patricia Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007
        I hope I am not too late to contribute - there was another post - from Adrian - but I cannot find it

        I have been told that she might have it by her with flint etc - to kindle a fire - known as "Need-Fire"    to your present day witch - or Seiðwoman - but in those days the spelling was probably Neið
        The essential think was to kindle the fire afresh - grabbing a piece of already burning wood from the hearth would not have served the purpose.

        In Ancient times it would have served a purpose of commuication with Spirit Helpers etc
        So I have been advised - I have of course been picking the brains of a Friend - A Witch.

        From Wiki=pedia

        Need-fire, or Wild-fire (Ger. Notfeuer, O. Ger. nodfyr), a term used in folklore to denote a curious superstition which survived in the Scottish Highlands until a recent date.

        Like the fire-churning still customary in India for kindling the sacrificial fire, the need- or wild-fire is made by the friction of one piece of wood on another, or of a rope upon a stake. Need-fire is a practice of shepherd peoples to ward off disease from their herds and flocks. It is kindled on occasions of special distress, particularly at the outbreak of a murrain, and the cattle are driven through it. Its efficacy is believed to depend on all other fires being extinguished.

        I will answer no questions on the subject - I do not teach now

        Kveðja

        Patricia