Þykist þér til Hlíðarenda eiga eftir nokkuru að sjá?

    Message 1 of 64 , Mar 6, 2007
      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Fred and Grace Hatton"
      <hatton@...> wrote:

      > I had trouble with this phrase
      >
      > Þykist þér til Hlíðarenda eiga
      > eftir nokkuru að sjá?"

      I was unsure myself. This is what I've been able to track down so far:

      Cleasby / Vigfússon gives the definition "to miss", ætlu vér at eigi
      muni aðrir eiga meirr eptir sínum hlut at sjá, Ísl. ii. 384; nær er
      þat minni ætlan at þeir þykkisk nokkut eiga eptir sínum hlut at sjá,
      Ld. 228; þykkisk ér til Hlíðar-enda eiga eptir nokkurum hlut at sjá?
      Nj. 75.

      I guess that last quote must be a different manuscript's version of
      the one we're looking at. That other online edition matches ours,
      apart from the different spelling conventions: þykkiz jer til
      hlíðarenda eiga eptir nökkuru at sjá? So, on that basis, I *think*
      it's saying: "Do you think that you are missing anything [of yours]
      and that it is now at Hlidarendi?"

      MM & HP: "Do you think there is anything of yours to be found at
      Hlidarend." But they seem to have interpreted the quote from Laxdoela
      saga, ch. 50, differently to CV: því að nær er það minni ætlan að þeir
      þykist nokkuð eiga eftir sínum hlut að sjá við hann,
      utanhéraðsmennirnir, "for I suspect that the men from the other
      districts will feel they have a score of their own to settle with Bolli".

      Zoega, as far as I can see, doesn't cover the sense "to miss", but
      only has the other one (which is also in CV): 'eiga eptir e-u at sjá'
      "to have to look after" -- i.e. "to take care of, to see to" -- (hann
      mun þar eptir hefndum at sjá). Presumably this is the one MM & HP
      were thinking of with the Laxdoela saga example.

      LN
    • Fred and Grace Hatton
      Message 64 of 64 , Jan 27, 2010
        Thanks, LN, for sorting that out.
        Grace
        > Þykist eg ekki af því vaxa þótt eg bíði heiman þræla Haralds konungs og
        > elti þeir oss af eignum vorum eða þiggja af þeim dauða með öllu."

        > It seems to me not from it to grow although I wait at home (as?) King
        > Harald's thrall, and they chase us from our possessions or accept from
        > them death altogether."

        <vaxa> here "grow greater in fame" (Z4). Paraphrasing a bit: "I do not think
        that I will grow more famous, even if I wait for King Harald's thralls and
        they chase us from our possessions, or I meet my death at their hands."
        <þræla> is genitive plural; the verb <bíða> takes a genitive object to
        express what is waited for. <heiman> literally "from home", referring to the
        thralls setting out from their home to do these dastardly deeds.

        In Modern Icelandic, the present subjunctive 1st person sg. would be
        <þiggi>, in Old Icelandic <þiggja>, which makes me think perhaps whoever
        adapted it to the modern standard spelling overlooked it, thinking it was
        the infinitive.

        Fred and Grace Hatton
        Hawley Pa