Thanks, LN!

  • Fred and Grace Hatton
    Message 1 of 64 , Mar 6, 2007
      I knew it wasn't the infinitive, but wasn't sure WHAT it was.

      I had trouble with this phrase

      Þykist þér til Hlíðarenda eiga
      eftir nokkuru að sjá?"
      Grace
      Fred and Grace Hatton
      Hawley Pa
    • Fred and Grace Hatton
      Message 64 of 64 , Jan 27, 2010
        Thanks, LN, for sorting that out.
        Grace
        > Þykist eg ekki af því vaxa þótt eg bíði heiman þræla Haralds konungs og
        > elti þeir oss af eignum vorum eða þiggja af þeim dauða með öllu."

        > It seems to me not from it to grow although I wait at home (as?) King
        > Harald's thrall, and they chase us from our possessions or accept from
        > them death altogether."

        <vaxa> here "grow greater in fame" (Z4). Paraphrasing a bit: "I do not think
        that I will grow more famous, even if I wait for King Harald's thralls and
        they chase us from our possessions, or I meet my death at their hands."
        <þræla> is genitive plural; the verb <bíða> takes a genitive object to
        express what is waited for. <heiman> literally "from home", referring to the
        thralls setting out from their home to do these dastardly deeds.

        In Modern Icelandic, the present subjunctive 1st person sg. would be
        <þiggi>, in Old Icelandic <þiggja>, which makes me think perhaps whoever
        adapted it to the modern standard spelling overlooked it, thinking it was
        the infinitive.

        Fred and Grace Hatton
        Hawley Pa