Re: [norse _course] Mér líka ekki græn egg og skinka?

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Eysteinn Bjornsson"
      <eysteinn@...> wrote:

      > Haukur Þorgeirsson <haukurth@> wrote:
      >
      > > "Mér líkar hvorugt" would be correct and idiomatic
      >
      > But does anyone ever say "mér líkar"? I don't - it
      > feels like a bad translation of the English idiom.
      > (How old is this expression in the language anyway?)
      > I don't think I ever use "líka", except perhaps
      > occasionally in "mér líkar vel/illa VIÐ einhvern",
      > but "ég kann vel/illa við" comes more natural to me.
      > I would never, ever say "mér líkar hann".

      Would it still be acceptable to use 'líka' in the sense of "to be
      happy/pleased/satisfied with" when referring to a specific event or
      action, or how one feels about something (a physical object or a
      circumstance) at one particular time, rather than to a general taste
      or preference?

      Konungsdóttir segir sér þetta vel líka
      The king's daughter said that she happy with that. (glad to accede to
      that, well pleased with that offer).

      Eftir það skildu þeir og líkaði hvorigum annars spár.
      After that they parted company and neither was happy with what the
      other had foretold.

      Hversu líkar þér nú skyrtan?
      How do you like the new shirt?

      "En líkar mér," segir hann, "kvonfangið ef þú mátt ná til handa mér
      þessi konunni."
      "But I will be content/happy/pleased ... with the marriage if you can
      gain for me this woman."

      Gerið sem þér líkar .
      Do as you please.

      en fara máttu með oss, ef þér líkar .
      but you can come with us if you like.

      LN
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, Haukur Þorgeirsson <haukurth@...>
        wrote:

        > Why can't I say "I like rabbits and dogs" in my native language?

        Maybe no one has ever yet liked rabbits and dogs simultaneously in
        Iceland -- or, of they did, preferred not to say so ;)
      • Eysteinn Bjornsson
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
          --- "llama_nom" <600cell@...> wrote:

          > Would it still be acceptable to use 'líka' in the sense of "to be
          > happy/pleased/satisfied with" when referring to a specific event or
          > action, or how one feels about something (a physical object or a
          > circumstance) at one particular time, rather than to a general taste
          > or preference?

          I think you may have somewhat misunderstood me. I was
          just expressing my own modern usage (in the spoken language),
          not stating anything about general acceptability. And the
          written language tends to be rather different. It is by
          no means INCORRECT or UNACCEPTABLE to say (or write) "mér
          líkar hann", but I find it an awkward thing to speak (and
          not quite as awkward to write). Other generations (or people
          raised in other parts of the country) may disagree, I'm not
          sure. For example, it sounds like Haukur has no problem with
          saying something of the sort.

          > Konungsdóttir segir sér þetta vel líka ...

          None of the examples sound exactly modern (and not
          very old either, for that matter). They are all fairly
          normal usage. In Old Icelandic the meaning is closer
          to "please" than "be likeable", i.e. "mér líkar" = "it
          pleases me".

          > Hversu líkar þér nú skyrtan?
          > How do you like the new shirt?

          This would have to mean: "How do you like the shirt
          NOW." "How do you like the new shirt?" would be "Hversu
          líkar þér nýja skyrtan?" (And in modern Icelandic we
          would say "hvernig" rather than "hversu".

          > Gerið sem þér líkar.
          > Do as you please.

          This is slightly odd. One would either expect
          "gerðu (ger þú)" or "yður". Unless it actually
          means "Do (plural) as you (singular) please".

          > en fara máttu með oss, ef þér líkar.
          > but you can come with us if you like.

          "... if it pleases you" would probably be closer to
          the meaning - but of course it would depend on the
          context.

          Note that although I have a problem with using "mér
          líkar hann", I have no problem with "mér líkar vel
          við hann" (I like him). Note also that we say "mér
          líkar illa við hann" (I don't like him) - which makes
          this quite different from the English "like".

          Regards,
          E.
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2007
            >> Hversu líkar þér nú skyrtan?
            >> How do you like the new shirt?

            > This would have to mean: "How do you like the shirt
            NOW." "How do you like the new shirt?" would be "Hversu
            líkar þér nýja skyrtan?" (And in modern Icelandic we
            would say "hvernig" rather than "hversu".

            Ah yes, of course; I was led astray by the context here. Örvar-Oddr
            has been given a new shirt. But maybe she's asking him how he likes
            it *now* after hearing her describe its making in verse.

            >> Gerið sem þér líkar.
            >> Do as you please.

            > This is slightly odd. One would either expect
            "gerðu (ger þú)" or "yður". Unless it actually
            means "Do (plural) as you (singular) please".

            This is from Völsunga saga. I found it in the Órðabók Háskólans text
            database, which is matched by the version here [
            http://www.snerpa.is/net/forn/volsung.htm ]. But there's another
            online version which seems to keep to the spelling used by Guðni
            Jónsson and Bjarni Vilhjálmsson:

            Högni mælti: "Geri sem þér líkar. Glaðliga mun ek hér bíða þess, er
            þér vilið at gera, ok þat muntu skilja, at eigi er hjarta mitt hrætt,
            ok reynt hefi ek fyrr harða hluti, ok var ek gjarn at þola mannraun,
            þá er ek var ósárr. En nú eru vér mjök sárir, ok muntu einn ráða várum
            skiptum." [
            http://www.heimskringla.no/original/fornaldersagaene/volsungasaga.php ].

            Could this `geri(ð)' be a typo for `ger' or `gerðu'? The rest of the
            paragraph does shift between respectful plural (he's talking to King
            Atli) and singular: þér vilið ... muntu. He also switches between
            singular and plural in the first person: mun ek ... (etc.) ... eru
            vér. (Jesse Byock translates "Do as you like.")

            >> en fara máttu með oss, ef þér líkar.
            >> but you can come with us if you like.

            > "... if it pleases you" would probably be closer to
            the meaning - but of course it would depend on the
            context.

            From Göngu-Hrólfs saga. Hermann Pálsson and Paul Edwards translate /
            paraphrase: "Still you can join us if you want." I'm not sure that I
            understand a distinction in meaning between English "if you like" and
            "if it pleases you (to do so)" in the context of accepting someone's
            request to join a pirate crew on a voyage, except that the latter
            sounds more old-fashioned or a higher register, or extremely polite.

            LN