Vedr. [norse_course] Freya's/Frigg's Distaff

  • Lance
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
      Any idea what Orion’s Belt was called in Norse cosmology?  I've found the English translations, at least - Freya's/Frigg's Distaff.

      Lance

      Alt i én. Få Yahoo! Mail med adressekartotek, kalender og notisblokk.
    • Patricia Wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007

        The Viking Answer lady has a lot of info about the names of stars etc
        I do not see Freya's/Friggs Distaff mentioned  but here's a start
        Patriicia
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
          It was hiding in there under a Latinized version of her name:

          "Frigga's Distaff. The last of the constellations which may belong to
          the Viking Age is Friggjarrokkr, Frigga's Distaff, the three bright
          stars that make up the belt of the constellation we know today as
          Orion the Hunter. Grimm cites this name from the Swedish Friggerock,
          and also Frejerock or Fröjas rock (Teutonic Religion ch. 13 and ch. 22)."

          --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia Wilson"
          <originalpatricia@...> wrote:

          > http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/stars.shtml
          >
          > The Viking Answer lady has a lot of info about the names of stars etc
          > I do not see Freya's/Friggs Distaff mentioned but here's a start
          > Patriicia

        • Lance
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
            Yes, I caught that.  Thanks.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
              I am glad it was useful - I have always found the "Viking Answer Lady" to be a very
              handy source for looking into odd and interesting features
              Kveðja
              Patricia

              There are many links and well worth a study
              Kveðja