reply to LN on Patricia's translation ch39

  • Patricia Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2007
      hversu mér bregður við"
      > how it will move (affect?) me"

      "how I'll react."

      My Reply was truncated and I wanted to say

       think he was "artlessly" expressing his intent - it had been stated already in the Saga that he was unaccustomed to this type of work, and  in one sense of it he is anticipating being attacked and means to plead self-defence.

      Thank you so much Llama Nom for the pleasant thoughts - this has been a good start to a morning
      Kveðja
      Patricia

      How does this happen - Alan had a couple of messages truncated like this - strange - some time ago
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2007
        Hmm, I'm not sure about the truncating; I can well imagine how
        frustrating that must be. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can help?
        I've a feeling there is some limit to the length of messages that are
        archived at the Yahoo site, because I've seen sometimes at the bottom
        of the message it says it's been cut off, having gone beyond a certain
        length--but I didn't see any such warning on your last message. Strange.

        > think he was "artlessly" expressing his intent - it had been stated
        already
        > in the Saga that he was unaccustomed to this type of work, and in
        one sense
        > of it he is anticipating being attacked and means to plead
        self-defence.

        It did tell us in advance that he was no 'vígamaðr', as you say, so I
        guess he really wasn't--till now. But then, he does also seem to be
        "protesting" a bit much, as if maybe there's an element of sarcasm to
        his self-deprecation, and that he's playing along with Hallgerðr's
        insult. Rannveig's comment adds weight to that impression.
        Personally, I suspect he's doing it more for the sake of black humour
        than anything. Self-defense might be something of a long shot, in
        this case...

        LN

        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia Wilson"