Re: [norse_course] Re: Njal chapter 39 Patricia's translation

  • Patricia Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2007
      The question of "Old Norse Murder Mysteries" I find rather droll - written no doubt by Agata Christensdottir  Ten Little Indians would come out as Ten Little Thralls  and "Murder she Said!"  might be "Morðvig Sagði Hon" yes  I think I like the idea

      > Hann mælti: "E.g. vil að hann segi mér hvar hann hefir hulið hræ Atla.
      Mér ER
      sagt að hann hafi illa um búið."
      > He replied "I want him to say to me where he has hidden Atli's body.
      It is said to me that he had done (this ) badly

      I see him as a "Man on a Mission" - (play "Godfather" theme here,) and I assumed that since Bergthora had given him a 'contract'  on Brynjolf  then the question of the disposal of Atli's corpse was merely an excuse. He had been given this job by the Godmother and it was an offer he could not refuse.

       hversu mér bregður við"
      > how it will move (affect?) me"

      "how I'll react."

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2007
        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia Wilson"
        <originalpatricia@...> wrote:

        > > Hann mælti: "E.g. vil að hann segi mér hvar hann hefir hulið hræ Atla.
        > Mér ER
        > sagt að hann hafi illa um búið."
        > > He replied "I want him to say to me where he has hidden Atli's body.
        > It is said to me that he had done (this ) badly
        >
        > I see him as a "Man on a Mission" - (play "Godfather" theme here,) and I
        > assumed that since Bergthora had given him a 'contract' on Brynjolf
        then
        > the question of the disposal of Atli's corpse was merely an excuse.
        He had
        > been given this job by the Godmother and it was an offer he could
        not refuse

        I think you're right--whether the excuse is Bergþóra's idea, or just
        Þórðr trying to work himself up to do what he must. Or maybe a bit of
        both.