gripi

  • Fred and Grace Hatton
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2006
      Thanks, Alan! I see I had numerous mistakes. It looks like gripi could
      mean either costly trifles or livestock. I took it to mean expensive toys
      since she had not a bone of practicality in her and would have sold her
      livestock to buy pretty things and had little but those and the land
      remaining. I think the attitude of the saga writer is that the woman is
      silly and won't have anything to eat eventually - - which has already
      happened in her previous marriage.
      Grace
      Fred and Grace Hatton
      Hawley Pa
    • Patricia
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2006
        I was glad to be able to copy up your translation Alan , but I did see much the same definition over "gripi" as did Grace, it may be because Grace and I know someone a trifle like Unn personally - impractical and a spend-thrift.
        I am going to look ahead - see if Unn turns up again - would that be likely I wonder