A couple of comparisons with Gwyn Jones's translation

    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2006
      ok sagði þá vera litla í skapi
      "and said they (the brothers) were small in spirit"

      Alan's interpretation that this refers to the brothers seems to me
      to fit the grammar better than Gwyn Jones's "arguing that it would
      show a mean spirit".

      Just for comparison, here is how Jones tranmslates the beginning of
      this passage:

      þorgeirr hafði meir svör fyrir þeim broeðrum í þat sinni, kvazk
      fjarri sitja
      "Th. did more of the answering for the brothers this time. He would
      be keeping out of it, he said."

      Can anyone think of any similar quotes that would help decide
      whether he's just saying that he lives a long way away, or that he's
      going to stay well out of it?

      Llama Nom
    • Blanc Voden
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21, 2006
        Can anyone think of any similar quotes that would help decide
        whether he's just saying that he lives a long way away, or that
        he's
        going to stay well out of it?

        Llama Nom

        By my native understanding He means both.

        Is going to stay well out of it.

        The distance between Þorskafjörður and "Aðalból" I reckon is at
        least 600 km.

        If he would express himself that way and if he lived near say they
        were neighbours, then it could only mean that he would stay passive.

        Thanks Uoden

        Everything is at least trice. Ice=íS. Nice marks small details also?

        1.[a] + 2. [b] + 3. [a+ b]. three are valid