a translator without örlög

  • Scott Humbert
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2006
      Dear friends:

      I've been trying to translate this verse from the Völuspá:

      Unz þrír kvámu
      ór því liði
      öflgir ok ástkir
      æsir at húsi,
      fundu á landi
      lítt megandi
      Ask ok Emblu
      örlöglausa.

      I'm sure you all recognize it. I've been struggling with the lines "ór því liði" and "öflgir ok ástkir". I took a crack at it and came up with "Came they looking back " for the former. As for the latter, "öflgir" seems to mean "powerful" or "overwhelming", so the Cleasby-Vigfusson dictionary says. I can't find a definition for "ástkir" at all.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks.

      skål,

      scott

      http://www.libertyhaven.com/ -- Resources for Liberty (Reference library, Free e-mail, and Discussion Groups) -- Libertyhaven is suffering a plague of Nigerian crooks - if this message pertains to investing in Nigeria it is a fraud and should be reported to abuse@...
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2006
        ór því liði "from that host/people", neuter sg. lið (i.e. from among
        the Aesir).

        ástugr, ástigr. (The 'g' becomes a stop and is devoiced when the
        medial vowel in dropped in inflections: ástkir = ástgir.)
        Interesting difference of opinion here about whether they're the
        recipient or donor of affection. CV ástigr "dear, lovely" (ú-
        ástugr "loveless"); Thorpe "benevolent"; ON Online "lovely,
        benevolent"; Fritzner, referring to this verse "kjærligsindet",
        which I think means that he agrees with Thorpe and ONO, rather than
        CV.

        http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/lrc/eieol/norol-9-X.html#L4843
        http://www.normanniireiks.org/guilds_lore/lore/poetic/index.htm

        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Humbert"
        <voicechord@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends:
        >
        > I've been trying to translate this verse from the Völuspá:
        >
        > Unz þrír kvámu
        > ór því liði
        > öflgir ok ástkir
        > æsir at húsi,
        > fundu á landi
        > lítt megandi
        > Ask ok Emblu
        > örlöglausa.
        >
        > I'm sure you all recognize it. I've been struggling with the
        lines "ór því liði" and "öflgir ok ástkir". I took a crack at
        it and came up with "Came they looking back " for the former. As
        for the latter, "öflgir" seems to mean "powerful"
        or "overwhelming", so the Cleasby-Vigfusson dictionary says. I
        can't find a definition for "ástkir" at all.

        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > skål,
        >
        > scott

        > http://www.libertyhaven.com/ -- Resources for Liberty (Reference
        library, Free e-mail, and Discussion Groups) -- Libertyhaven is
        suffering a plague of Nigerian crooks - if this message pertains to
        investing in Nigeria it is a fraud and should be reported to
        abuse@...

      • Blanc Voden
        Message 3 of 3 , May 21, 2006
          Interesting difference of opinion here about whether they're the
          > recipient or donor of affection. CV ástigr "dear, lovely" (ú-
          > ástugr "loveless"); Thorpe "benevolent"; ON Online "lovely,
          > benevolent"; Fritzner, referring to this verse "kjærligsindet",
          > which I think means that he agrees with Thorpe and ONO, rather
          than
          > CV.

          Hi llama,

          More pondering?
          The word or suffix "ig" is pronounced/voiced by majority of Danes as
          "ee" in English that is The natural long sound for Icelandic "i" and
          noted nowadays as i slashed "í"
          From Persia We make short vowel "o" long and note it as "og" or i
          as "ig". Ask the Turks.

          ""el" (Capital letter) says in Danish Lig or alike. In Icelandic
          also for Lík.

          The one or that what is -ig of something I reckon is in likeness of
          it or inclined to it.

          I read "Ást-íg-ur" as one in likeness of "Ást" or one in for "Ást".

          In English "ly" sound as Danish "lig" in likeness of Icelandic "líg"
          og "lík" but exactly as Icelandic "lí" expression consiedered
          meaningless in Icelandic common tongue.

          "Naut Mann-íg" are Bull that want to go in Man or hurt/shove
          [Stanga] Man.

          The "nowadays" popular "ly" notation is "leg" I recon as the foetus
          lies in one
          before its birth. That is Leg(h)-ið. As "eg" is in "íeg=ég"
          Ég=I was in my "Leg". No lie? See "lyg" in Icalandic.

          Thanks Uoden