Re: fell

  • Blanc Voden
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2006
      Hi there Patricia,

      Thanks for the Link. "Whinny Muir"

      Some poetry?

      mu'ir
      noun feminine genitive mar'a; pl. mar'ann'an, sea, ocean.
      Whinny as neigh.

      The Icelandic "Bards" raconte that "Mar(r)" to "Mars" more
      are "Mar'ir" names Horse (male gender).

      But Male noun "Mar" to "Mar'ar" names sea ocean.

      "Mer(i)" to "Mer'ar" more females are "Mer'ar" also or "Hryss'ur"
      and match Horses (of male gender).

      See also female "MarTröð" nightmar(e)

      Blue, black "far" spot we name "mar'ið" (neutral): the bruise.

      [Berr'y'a>] "Berja" is to strike or glance(strike at an angle?)
      Proverb: "Berja með augum"
      [Merr'y'a>]"Merja" is action of pressing: leaves at least first
      bruises: "MarBletti"

      "Þú merð mig(h)": You bruise me.
      "Íeg(h) mer þig(h)": I bruise you.

      "Hneggjar Mar"

      Se also "el" in "fela" to hide and edd in Feddll>Fell.
      fed(d) that is manna [gentive of Menn.

      FaDL>"Fall" is also corpse of butchered animal. Refering to what
      falls, I reckon.

      Thanks again

      Uoden

      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia"
      <originalpatricia@...> wrote:

      > I have a dictionary in my PC that says Fell would be Scot. and
      N.England dialect for hill or moor, but also there is in Legend -
      Scottish Legend - a place of a sort of Spiritual Purgatory - called
      the
      > "Whinny Muir" or thorny moor where you soul goes to be proven if
      you done well or ill in life.
      > And let us not forget "Killarney's Lakes and Fells" surely they
      too are legendary.
      > I believe we would have to go both North and East of my county -
      Cheshire - to hear this word used unless we have no fells to speak
      of and therefore do not use the word.
      > Perhaps it is but lately consigned to poetry - we could revive it
      > Kveðja
      > Patricia
      >
      > http://www.scotscommunity.com/BOOKS/POETRY/A%20Lyke-Wake%
      20Dirge.htm

      > Verses regarding the "Whinny Muir" for those interested.

      Mountains.
      > But Icelandic "Fell [FeDL]" are Rocky Hills or smaller than
      > mountains: "fjöll".
      >
      > Hi Blanc,
      > I finally got a chance to look up fell in English. Gordon had
      translated
      > fjall to English as fell. In my big English dictionary it says
      a fell is a
      > moorland or barren or rocky hillside.
      >
      > In American English, one rarely encounters the word moorland,
      but in the
      > English of Great Britain, there seem to be very many words for
      different
      > sorts of moorlands.
      > Grace
      > Fred and Grace Hatton
      > Hawley Pa
      >

      > A Norse funny farm, overrun by smart people.

      > To escape from this funny farm try rattling off an e-mail to:

      course Social science degree
      > Social science education Bachelor of social science
      Social science major

      of Service.

      -----------

    • Blanc Voden
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2006
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fell

        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Fred and Grace Hatton"
        <hatton@...> wrote:

        > Fell is moorland, see "mýrlendi" "fjall or fjöll" we name
        Mountains.
        > But Icelandic "Fell [FeDL]" are Rocky Hills or smaller than
        > mountains: "fjöll".
        >
        > Hi Blanc,
        > I finally got a chance to look up fell in English. Gordon had
        translated
        > fjall to English as fell. In my big English dictionary it says a
        fell is a
        > moorland or barren or rocky hillside.
        >
        > In American English, one rarely encounters the word moorland, but
        in the
        > English of Great Britain, there seem to be very many words for
        different
        > sorts of moorlands.
        > Grace
        > Fred and Grace Hatton
        > Hawley Pa

      • Blanc Voden
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2006
          In geography, a fell is a treeless mountain landscape that has been
          shaped by glacier ice earlier in history. It is the name used in the
          North of England for a large hill or small mountain, especially in
          the Lake District, made famous by the Victorian era Poet Laureate
          William Wordsworth. The valleys are known as dales.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fell

          By this the scene/district of Hrafnkel'sSaga is fell: geographically.

          But EyvindarFjöll (2 really) are mountains as they have crest,
          ridge.

          Mountain range we name FjallGarða.

          In the map I noticed that that "Fell" are also Mountains.
          Fell/Fells plural Fell/Fella

          But Fell stand alone more like hill/knoll and the bottom is kind of
          circular. Mountains appear to be more elongated.

          In neigborhood of Eyvindarfjöll(823) we have: KálfaFell (794),
          SauðaFell, HafursFell(1088) and BúrFell. SnæFell is 1833 m.
          Also Glacier resting the knoll.

          This I reckon most accurate.

          Thanks Uoden

          <hatton@...> wrote:

          > Fell is moorland, see "mýrlendi" "fjall or fjöll" we name
          Mountains.
          > But Icelandic "Fell [FeDL]" are Rocky Hills or smaller than
          > mountains: "fjöll".
          >
          > Hi Blanc,
          > I finally got a chance to look up fell in English. Gordon had
          translated
          > fjall to English as fell. In my big English dictionary it says a
          fell is a
          > moorland or barren or rocky hillside.
          >
          > In American English, one rarely encounters the word moorland, but
          in the
          > English of Great Britain, there seem to be very many words for
          different
          > sorts of moorlands.
          > Grace
          > Fred and Grace Hatton
          > Hawley Pa

        • Patricia
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2006
            "Whinny Muir"   whinny as in neigh  - no I disagree Uoden, I offer the knowledge - not great - which I have of the Scottish Dialect - A whin is a thorn and in Scotland and Wales on the mountains you may gather "whin-Berries" they are so called for the bushes are thorny.
            Whin in this case certainly - is a thorn and Whinny in this case is indeed "Thorny"

            I have copied this for you to better understand it

            Whinny-Muir

            (We thought they were singing "to anymore thou com'st at last" in 1972.) The word "muir" is an old form of the modern "moor," which is what the British call desolate, treeless land covered with brush. In the US we would call it "chaparral," though our moors are doubtless hotter and drier than theirs. A "whinny moor" is a moor overgrown with a thorn bush now called gorse (Ulex Europaeus) but in times past also called "whin". The gist of the whinny moor verse is that if you give shoes and stockings to the poor, you will have shoes and stockings on your feet when you must cross a whinny moor in the afterworld. Otherwise, you'll have to walk across the thorns barefoot

            I am happy to do this for you because you have contributed so much to our discussions  is it  correct to call you Uoden or Blanc in friendship I believe it should be Uoden - you bear the name of one of my Gods, and some people put their family name first is that what you do please forgive my ignorance

            Vijay

            Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 12:53 PM
            Subject: [norse_course] Re: fell

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2006
              Fells to me would be rugged hills, especially in the north of
              Britain. It appears in a lot of placenames. According to the Oxford
              English Dictionary, it's a loanword from Old Norse, related to the
              German word Fels "rock":

              1. A hill, mountain. Obs. exc. in proper names of hills in the north-
              west of England, as Bowfell, Scawfell, etc.

              2. A wild, elevated stretch of waste or pasture land; a moorland
              ridge, down. Now chiefly in the north of England and parts of Scotland.

              I suspect my associations for this word have been influenced by
              Tolkien, who may have revived sense 1, and by reading Old Norse.
              According to the OED, English 'moor' originally meant marshland,
              related to ON moerr, and mýrr?, both feminine jo-stems, and
              English 'mere'; the present meaning of 'moor' in English may have been
              influenced by the etymologically unrelated ON mór (gen. mós, pl. móar).

              I wonder how well the meanings match of the Icelandic and English
              cognates heiðr : heath. Where I live, in the east of England, a heath
              is upland, a plateau, not as good farmland as the lowland, and
              traditionally used for pasture rather than agriculture, but often
              cultivated nowadays thanks to improved technology. In parts of
              northern England there are hilly areas called wolds (the Yorkshire
              Wolds, the Lincolnshire Wolds). In the south-east, the same word
              appears as "The Weald". These are all grassy hills. Likewise "The
              Downs" or downland (=upland!). The word is cognate with ON 'völlr',
              which I think is a grassy plain, and with German 'Wald' "forest" <
              Proto-Germanic *walþuz. To me, moor or moorland suggests a hilly area
              a bit more rugged, ranging from grassy areas suitably for grazing to
              heather and rocky outcrops and peat bogs. You can see pictures on
              Google Images of the North York Moors and the Scottish moors. There
              are also famous moors in the southwest of England: Dartmoor, Exmoor.
            • Blanc Voden
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2006
                A "whinny moor" is a moor overgrown with a thorn bush now called
                gorse (Ulex Europaeus) but in times past also called "whin". The
                gist of the whinny moor verse is that if you give shoes and
                stockings to the poor, you will have shoes and stockings on your
                feet when you must cross a whinny moor in the afterworld. Otherwise,
                you'll have to walk across the thorns barefoot.

                I do agree Patricia, your are clearly an wit of your measures.

                I as Blanc (Poetic name) was merely speculating and of course neigh
                matches hardly ocean. Ulex is not to be found in Iceland I reckon.

                But GorSe has synonym a Furze : By the ancient Bards
                F'ur(ð,d,t)s'i.
                "urð" is earth/dirt least fertile, urt is plant (see jurt).
                "urd" may be "urdn" ortgraphically spelled "urn".
                "urð'ar" the one that buries(covers with dirt).
                H'urð: is door. Furða is Wonder. Þurð is dearth. Þurt is dry.

                "LíkÞor(d)n" are kind of corns: callus marking the feet.
                Callus in hands we name "Sigg".

                We say "að planta", we do not say "að urta" nor "að jurta".
                If I take the "enn" from "Plant" I get "Plat" that means naive lie.
                "at" in Icelandic can refer to mud.

                On the heath (heiðinni: hinni the other one) we find lot of "urtir"
                as herbs (lækningaJurtir) or spices (kryddJurtir)

                Thanks Uoden

                SpAce is mostly Blank as the one deprived the "Óð".
                See ó as in Low=Ló. óið> óð: fast said.
              • Blanc Voden
                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2006
                  I wonder how well the meanings match of the Icelandic and English
                  cognates heiðr : heath. Where I live, in the east of England, a
                  heath
                  is upland, a plateau, not as good farmland as the lowland, and
                  traditionally used for pasture rather than agriculture, but often
                  cultivated nowadays thanks to improved technology.

                  Hi IIlama,

                  Here a heath is upland, a plateau, not as good farmland as the
                  lowland, and traditionally used for pasture rather than agriculture.

                  Sometime when we were overpopulated People lived in "HeiðarBýli".
                  "Býli" kind af habitations.
                  Heið'i/'ar but
                  Heið'r/urs [He Rún'ar'inn was named ur, but She rún'in úr]is honor.
                  The vegetation of the heath is apt to our climate: inferior to yours.

                  They are Vell'ir. From Völl'um. One is Völl'ur he is from Vell'i.
                  the root is realy Vell. Svell is what? Flat ice surface.
                  Plateau (See Flat á) is high flat surface.

                  Vellir are not necessarily at high point.
                  As water "vellir" (flows
                  þú hellir (pour

                  the out come has most often flat surface.

                  Wall is also flat.
                  "GrasVellir" are necessarily grassy flat surfaces.

                  "Vald" is "ald" under V(end) that you name Power.
                  "Vald" is related to "Val" that is choice [see al of V].
                  If you have choice you can vote that is kind of power.

                  The wood/forest of Germany gave the power against the Romans
                  I rekon my ancient relatives there considered Forest matches "Vald"
                  Germans spell it "Wald". The true meaning of Val or Vald was not
                  censured here in Iceland as elsewhere before I reckon: so it
                  survived?

                  Thanks Uoden
                  Think root of Furze in German (see bowels or tripa in Portuguese)
                  90 percent of The Icelandic female DNA Map is more from Britain
                  than Norway. 70% of the Males, but we were "under" Norwegian Lords
                  from ca 1232 to ca 1550 nearly 300 years. That makes enumeration.
                  I Reckon. Is German ambiguous? Icelandic is at least to aliens.