býzk and horses

  • Fred and Grace Hatton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2006
      Not to quibble, but how does one figure out that býzk doesn't come from búa
      since it does exist in the form bý? The zk suffix is reflexive, right?

      I still don't get what the middle voice is. Does it exist in any fashion in
      English? I understand what the passive voice is and also what reflexives
      are, but the middle voice doesn't seem to penetrate.

      There is a word for gelding in ON so it is probable that the band of horses
      brought in with Freyfaxi included some of them so the translation "mares"
      might not be as good as "horses.' There wouldn't be any point in gelding a
      horse if it weren't going to be kept around for a few years. Unless maybe
      the geldings were kept for riding and work around the place and the mares
      just ran loose most of the time. Just a thought.
      Grace

      Fred and Grace Hatton
      Hawley Pa